Solved - No Power Fixed !!! Clogged fuel pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved No Power Fixed !!! Clogged fuel pump

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Kidcapri50

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer XL
Well... I've been posting here for the last two or three weeks bout my Explorer have issues with missing at start up and no power at warm up. I did some tests and found that fuel pressure was fine and was fpr was good. I finally got it to act up with fuel pressure tester hooked while driving and found that the pressure would drop badly under heavy throttle.

I cut a access hole under rear seat and pulled sending unit and found the fuel sock had fell off and was getting sucked up into pump. That explains why I would shut off and start back up while driving the issue would go away and then come back. The sock would drop off when shut down and then eventually it would get sucked back up.

I went ahead and got a whole new sending unit with pump at Autozone for $101.95. The sending unit itself was $96.95 and the pump was $70.95, but if bought as one unit it was only $101.95. HUH, go figure. Neadless to say I fixed it and it is running great again. Sorry for the long windiness, but I thought I post this incase someone else is having same issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice congrats on the fix =]

thanks for coming back and posting the outcome. And congrats

that sounds a lot like what my 95 is doing right now. At start up it sounds like its missing and i can put it to the flor and there is not enough power to get it up to highway speeds. I replaced the fuel pump/sending unit 3 months ago and it stopped acting up until now/. Anyone else have any ideas of what it might be besides fuel pressure related?

sounds good and now I to have learned some thing new so thanks for posting what ya found it helps us all out.

that sounds a lot like what my 95 is doing right now. At start up it sounds like its missing and i can put it to the flor and there is not enough power to get it up to highway speeds. I replaced the fuel pump/sending unit 3 months ago and it stopped acting up until now/. Anyone else have any ideas of what it might be besides fuel pressure related?
Sounds like a clogged Cat.

poor kitty, my cat had that problem got him unplugged now he is a happy cat.

Back