• Register Today It's free!

no power in gear..

jcp

Reaction score
City, State
colonial heights/norfolk va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
long story short i had a bad coolant leak it was the LIM. replace the gaskets put everything back together and it's misfiring rechecked the firing order everythings good. so i tried to pull it off the ramps and it had no power what so ever in gear with the pedal to the floor it just bogs. however you do it by hand at the throttle body it will rev up just with a bad miss. i'm semi stumped when i get home tomorrow i'll pull the plugs and see what cylinder is misfiring but from there i have no clue. i would really appreciate any ideas, i've learned a lot by searching already with other things i.e. replacing ball joints and front rotors etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well can anyone at least tell me if you're supposed to use both upper intake manifold gaskets? the old one was one solid piece the fel-pro replacement has two gaskets.. if you are supposed to use both do they go in is there any specific way?

There is a intake manifold gasket thread with directions, "search".

Not sure what you mean in you second post.

i understand there are threads and i've searched. the replacement gasket for the upper intake manifold from autozone or advanced comes with two identical gaskets do i use both of them or just one? thats pretty much the question from my previous post.. in all the threads where i've searched it doesn't say anything about using one or both.

I don't have a solid answer for you. But, to use 2 identical gaskets back to back is unusual, and I would think someone would have said somewhere along the way... Hey, you need 2 gaskets for this. So, just on logic, I say one gasket and you got 2 accidently packed together.

I don't think it would hurt to go either way... you are sealing manifold vacuum which is comparable to less than 10PSI (reversed, relative).

I'm sorry I have not been there yet, or I would be more definite.

i appreciate it i'm going to go ahead and use both see if that does anything. it's a serious vacuum leak enough to cause a misfire you can hear it leaking from somewhere pretty badly i just hope this is the fix as i'm quickly running out of ideas.

Sorry, reread your posts, you are doing your lower gaskets and are asking about the upper. Only one upper gasket needed.

not a problem, just put it back together and i still have a hard miss as well as a vacuum leak somewhere when it runs which to keep it running you have to give it a little throttle to keep it running. who knows i get the feeling i may be beyond what i know/can do i just really hate to pay a shop a boat ton of money on something i bought for 500 bucks.

yeah already tried that trick too. you don't hear any difference really even if you soak the entire motor. i'm going to have it towed to a shop the family knows well hopefully it's not too bad on the wallet thanks for the help though.

Back