No Reverse, terrible grinding sound, 5 speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Reverse, terrible grinding sound, 5 speed

Reaction score
City, State
Keller Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Ok well i got stuck in the snow yesterday so i put the truck in reverse to try to get out and the tires spun and then BANG!!! no reverse. i can literally pull my foot all the way off the clutch and nothing will happen. if i rev it up there is a horrible clanking/ grinding noise that seems to go with the speed of the engine as it does it in neutral as well. initially it was near impossible to even engage into reverse or 5th and took force to get third and fourth. now all gears work except for reverse although the nasty clanking noise persists throughout driving and in all gears. Is my tranny done or is there a possibility of salvaging it? and could there be possible engine damage as well since the clanking countinues when engaged in neutral? Also today i attempted to put it in reverse again and it worked for a brief second then went bang again and jerked and just reved up. anybody with any relevent information would be of big help. thank you

Back