No start/ignition, no windows | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No start/ignition, no windows

wirelessdog

Reaction score
I have a '95 Explorer new to me. It failed inspection due to having no tail lights, turn signals and dash lights. I found one blown and one missing fuse respectively which I replaced. Promptly following their replacement I smelled something electrical burning but was unable to isolate it.

Now, the truck won't start. It won't turn over, if I jump the solenoid it will turn over but not start. I also noticed that the power windows no longer work if that is relevant.

I'm not even sure where to start on this one.

Electrical parts are filled with smoke and only work properly if the smoke stays in them. If smoke comes out, part stops working.
Jokes aside, what fuses did you replace, what systems did they protect? If you used the correct fuses the affected one should have blown.
Could you tell if the smell was coming from under the dash or underhood? Someone with a good nose might be able to get an idea even now of where the issue is.
Keep an eye out for anything that looks like it has been worked on, screws put in that could be too long, etc. A bright flashlight and a lot of looking may turn up something.
There are tools to help trace short circuits but they go for upwards of $100.
If the problem is beyond what you are wanting to deal with get some knowledgeable help.

Back