Noise In Engine Compartment At Cold Start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise In Engine Compartment At Cold Start.

lazyinvt

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester. Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Limited
I need help. I have a 2001 Explorer limited w/ a 5.0 engine. When the vehicle is cold or has sat a few days, when you start the engine there is a noise from the engine compartment. Sounds like a loose pulley or bearing in a pulley. I have replaced the tensioner and a the idler pulley and belt. The noise is still there. It is a rattle noise that does it only for 2-4 sec. then goes away. Does not make any noise when the engine is warm or has been running. Please help me diag. this problem. Thank you so much.
Brandon Rusche:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could this be the dreaded timimg chain tensioner problem in it's early stages?

Oops, didn't see that at first.

...does that year still have the fan clutch??? ..:scratch: could be it is due for a change...

Man, you have a common problem. Now, listen up. This has to do with 2 parts that are connected. In the front of your engine, where you would find a distributor in the olden days, you will find a CAM POSTION SENSOR. This is a round black thing with a wire hook up. This CPS attaches to the CAM SYNCHRONIZER. After you read this, go to NAPA and look up pics. What is happening, is the Cam Syn has lost its lube and is chirping. You will end up replacing both parts. Now, in order to do this, you have to know how to find TOP DEAD CENTER. There is a sticky on this procedure. But, right now, remove the 2 screws holding down the CPS and look to see if the the STATOR is still in 1 piece on the Cam Syn. Also check the metal contacts on the CPS. Eventually, the stator will break on the Can Syn. That's where I am right now. I have my other car in the shop and have been driving my 5.0 Mountie around town with a broken stator and a new CPS. The Check Engine light is on. When I get the other car back, the Mountie goes in. I already bought the Cam Syn from Rock Auto. Search Cam Positon Sensor for more info. Lastly, take a long screw driver, a length of hose or stethescope and put it on your CPS and listen to the chirp to make sure this is the problem Welcome aboard.

Back