Noisy Auto Hubs

Big G

Reaction score
City, State
Whistler, BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD
Hi Folks,

Over the last week while driving in 2WD there has been the occasional noise coming from the front driver's side wheel assembly. Sounds to me like the axl spline spinning inside the hub (as it slows with the vehicle speed). I've pulled over, put the truck into 4WD high and drive for 20ft, then back into 2WD back up a few feet and continue on noise free. I know that the auto hubs are prone to fail. Is this typical?

Assuming that it is the auto hubs. Am I ok to drive like this until I have the time and money to swap in some Warn manual hubs, or am I likely causing further damage? Is there any way to fix them (short of having them rebuilt)? I've heard about them being over-greased and maybe trying to clean the internals out with ATF. Thoughts?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My auto hubs do the same thing for about a year now. I fix it the same as you. Have not had an issue yet, but I wonder about the truck actually being in 4 wheel drive. Last time I put it in 4 the front wheels didn't kick snow like they were trying to grab.

Walter

When mine failed..they clunked, my guess it was the clunking of total engaging and disengaging not the noise you mentioned.
The axle should not be spinning inside the hub at all. When the vehicle is in 2WD, the front driveshaft and axles should not be moving. I wonde if the noise is something rubbing on the stationary axle. By engaging the 4WD you are letting everything move together then maybe you move things around enough to make the noise stop.

No real answer from me other then to say that my hubs did not fail the way you mentioned.

Big G said:
Hi Folks,

Over the last week while driving in 2WD there has been the occasional noise coming from the front driver's side wheel assembly. Sounds to me like the axl spline spinning inside the hub (as it slows with the vehicle speed). I've pulled over, put the truck into 4WD high and drive for 20ft, then back into 2WD back up a few feet and continue on noise free. I know that the auto hubs are prone to fail. Is this typical?

Thanks.

My hubs would make a spinning, buzzing noise that became proportionally louder with the shapness of a turn.. When I engaged 4x4 the hubs locked and the noise went away. Anyway I cleaned out the hubs and soaked then in AFT and they have been good for the past 3 years.. I wouldn't worry about them failing (other than not having 4x4) as lots of people have broken hubs and don't even realize it... Any damage will be to the hub itself which will not affect the rest of the drive axle..

DeRocha said:
My hubs would make a spinning, buzzing noise that became proportionally louded with the shapness of a turn.. When I engaged 4x4 the hubs locked and the noise went away. Anyway I cleaned out the hubs and soaked then in AFT and they have been good for the past 3 years.. I wouldn't worry about them failing (other than not having 4x4) as lots of people have broken hubs and don't even realize it... Any damage will be to the hub itself which will not affect the rest of the drive axle..
Thanks for the re-assurement...I feel better now

I had a light clunking noise from my right front tire area and thought it might have been our front drive system and sounds similiar to your problem. 4x4 would engage and disengage fine. It was suggested to me to look at the front brake calipers. Since I had a brake pulling issue with hard braking, I replaced the calipers and bled the brakes. This fixed both problems.. :)
The calipers were alot less expensive then I had originally thought, 35.00 with metal pistons, 20.00 with stock pistons..
Just a shot in the dark that may help.. :cool:

Back