• Register Today It's free!

Noisy belt

wallygetsit

Reaction score
City, State
Churubusco, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
When I start my ex up after it has been sitting awhile the serpetine belt is quite noisy. The noisy goes away after the engine heats up. I inspected the belt and it looks fairly new and has no cracks. Is there any type of dressing I could put on the belt to quiet it down?

:chug:

Thanks,
Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe its made by Prestone and its called, Belt Dressing. you should be able to get it at Wal Mart or Auto Zone. You just spray it on the belt.

Thanks for the help. I thought it would be as simple as that!

:chug:

Yeah, the belt dressing will last for about 10-15 miles. I had a shop replace my Wife's power steering pump. One of the hoses was leaking so my Wife took it back to them. They tightened up the clamp and hosed the power steering fluid off the engine. The fluid ran down and got all over the belt. By the time she got home, it was very loud. I tried cleaning the belt with Simple Green and engine cleaner. I then tried the belt dressing, made to stop noisy belts. It quieted it down for a day or two, but the noise always kept coming back. I broke down and put a new belt on it to keep the noise away. Your belt might look like it is in good shape, but if it has 30K or more miles on it, it might be stretched causing it to slip. Your tensioner might also be going bad and might not be supplying the proper tension on the belt. My Haynes manual mentions a belt wear indicator on the tensioner that is supposed to indicate when the belt has stretched too much. I haven't looked at mine, but worth looking into.

I've got a very similar problem. I just had the serp. belt replaced on my explorer last week. Now, I've developed a heavy leak of engine coolant all over the place. It absolutely pours out every time I fill it up. I'm assuming this is causing a new squeak from the serp. belt.

This sucks cause I just had the belt replaced.

Any ideas?

I coincidentally developed a leak at my waterpump when I replaced my serpantine belt last year. I replaced the belt for preventative maintenance but after the leak I was beginning to wonder if the new (tighter) belt put too much of a strain on a well used water pump.

Back