non removable door hinges | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

non removable door hinges

yellowcat

Reaction score
City, State
las cruces new mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
my door hinge pins are non removable. I found out I must cut a hole under the dash to remove the last hinge bolt. Anyone have a good source for door hinges? The stealership wants 45 bucks a piece.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

yellowcat

Reaction score
City, State
las cruces new mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
I read that one

So your sure that I can just replace the pin and bushings. That style hinge usally needs to be fully replaced. Maybe I could go to the junk yard a practice.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I'm assuming you have a 1991-1994 explorer since your posting in that forum (stock 91-94) and that "useful thread" is a step by step on how to do it..

I can't see any reason why you couldn't do what he did.

~Mark

fixxxer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4X4
When I got my 93 Ex, the sagging driver's door was the first project I attempted to deal with. By following DeRocha's write-up, I had the upper and lower hinge pins and bushings replaced in about 2 hours and that was without the use of an air hammer or any power tools other than my trust Dremel tool with a fiberglass cut-off wheel.

TedJ

Reaction score
City, State
Fair Lawn, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Yes its definitely possible to do it without removing the hinges. I chose to take the door off by removing the bolts holding the door to the hinge... which required unplugging the wiring harness, which requires unbolting the e-brake so you can get to the plug (damn, you would think another 1in of wire would put them out of business...)

Once the door was out of the way, I cut the old pins in half and popped out the pieces. Then I took the door side part of the hinge, and use a vise to push in the new bushings, reassembled the hinges, and reversed the disassembly. Putting that e-brake back in was a $#$#%.

Mine was so bad, the pin had worn through the bushing and has started wearing into the metal of the hinge.

However, I didn't think it was possible to do it with the door on (and thats why I took it off), but after seeing DeRocha's thread, I think it would be much easier to do it his way.