• Register Today It's free!

Not a good start

Joe Otero

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019, Explorer Sport
Greetings fellow forum members.. (totally new to Ford)
Purchased a 2019 Ford Explorer Sport today..

Totally disappointed and frustrated..

1) Reception of FM radio signal for local channels appears to be faulty (Channels I know are available are missed with using the seek function)
2) Software update - Perhaps getting the latest update would resolve the radio isse..

On the software update - I thought perhaps I needed to reset and start from ground zero.. Reset to factory settings and proceeded to connect to the internet for getting the latest software upgrade.

Upon start of the software update journey the system detected there was an upgrade available. Started the download and it seemed to be hung... I searched the internet and found it could take up to 30 minutes to download. Ok, I left it running... Still the progress bar seemed as if there was no activity. Then the engine turned off.. ok, read online this could happen and I should turn the auto engine shutdown off..

Started again and it made more progress and took forever.. Decided to get online... Found I could register and download the software to a thumb drive..

Registration would not accept my email address.. had to create a new one... Started a chat session to request information... total waste of time...

After creation of a *new* email account I proceeded to download the software update.. Upon completion of the download the unzip operation reported files were corrupt... A seconded attempt yielded the same results...

THIS THING MAY BE GOING BACK... started out looking for a Toyota 4runner.. maybe I need to get back on that track.. DANG!!!

Very frustrated in Lexington KY.

Joe O

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had downloaded an update a while back and had a hard time with it installing as well. The install froze up on me and thought it was toast but ended up getting lucky and it completed the install after a few restarts. I know you need a good usb formatted FAT32. Double check the manual but I noticed before that the seek was a little goofy, i think there's a certain way to get it to seek properly.

Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
Is this a new vehicle? How is the AM reception? It almost sounds like an antenna issue. I can't recall if the antenna on the 2019 is a combination 'shark fin' and stubby antenna. Do you have a short 6" stick antenna screwed into the 'shark fin?
As for the Sync 3 update, what version and build number does your screen show. Very few members have had any success in getting updates via WiFi. Use the USB route. Are you trying to unzip the zip file? I've done many updates via the USB route and never had to personally unzip the file. I have no idea why you had to create a new email address to register.:dunno:

Peter

Hey Peter..
My 2019 was bought used.. I don't think it has a stubby antenna... I'll check.. Maybe its supposed to and went MIA? Can it be easily removed?

I was hoping to attach a photo of what was displayed during my attempt to download via WIFI.. However, don't see (just yet) how to being new and not familiar with this forum interface..

File I'm downloading is JR3T-14G381-AS..

Thanks for the response Peter... Much appreciated..

Cheers
Joe O

This is the error I receive if I use an unzip utility...

Ford unzip.PNG

Went back and read install instructions... states one is to open using Windows Explorer and drag files to USB device.. Did that and still having an issue..

Ford copy to USB.PNG

Now doing a full format of the USB device (exFAT)..

Hey Peter... the following is a pic of the display during the attempt to download the software upgrade file via WIFI..

AM reception (hmm.. not familiar with any local stations - so cant determine if there is an issue there).. but per expectation static and grainy.. but yes, able to tune in a few stations)

20200220_163850.jpg

ok, I give.. after a fresh full format of the USB device I'm still getting an error.. Going to call in for a service appointment.

Hey Peter... the following is a pic of the display during the attempt to download the software upgrade file via WIFI..

AM reception (hmm.. not familiar with any local stations - so cant determine if there is an issue there).. but per expectation static and grainy.. but yes, able to tune in a few stations)
I believe another member had the same notice that it was downloading but it never did. As I mentioned before, I've never used an Unzip Utility program. I just dragged the files to the USB drive and inserted it into the Explorer USB port.
Re the antenna, if there should be a short 6" antenna, there will be a place to screw it into the Shark Fin. You likely won't be able to see it standing on the ground.

Peter

Thanks for the follow up Peter... much appreciated.

Indeed the short antenna is MIA... I called CarMax and they conveyed one will be ordered and I'll be called when it arrives.

Regarding the Synch upgrade... The dealer conveyed they had issues too and its due to Ford support... They suggested I try again in a few days.. While my vehicle was there they updated the software related to brakes.

Thanks again Peter..

Cheers
Joe O

Back