Now for an idea stole from Ford themselves... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Now for an idea stole from Ford themselves...

TTG

Reaction score
City, State
Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
"The 32-valve supercharged engine uses patented ‘SuperCooler’ technology. Perhaps it should be called ‘SuperCooletti’ after SVT chief engineer John Coletti who both heads Ford SVT and patented the SuperCooler design himself. Coletti came up with a very practical way to provide a burst of power by using the truck’s air conditioning compressor to chill a small storage tank of coolant to 30-degrees Fahrenheit and then dump this coolant right into the supercharger’s intercooler with the touch of a button. The result is a 20% drop in air temperature that creates a higher density of air by volume for better combustion and higher horsepower - around 50-hp more for up to 30 to 40 seconds at wide-open throttle."

This is a thing the new Lightnings have. I like it very much so, and was wondering what you guys all thought was the easiest way to re-create this sort of effect. It doesn't seem like it'd be "TOO" hard, the wiring of the release seems to be the hardest part. And the inevitable trillion dollar lawsuits. But if they never find out its on your truck it's probably OK.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well first off I hate to say but the "New Lightning" is not being made, and has not for some time, that is why I now own an 1999 Explorer and have a new Mustang on the way, I had a 2000 Lightning and loved it, I only wish there will be a 3rd generation one.

Second I dont think a cooler charge will give that hp increase on a normally aspirated motor, the L had a supercharger, and cooler charges make big improvements when boosted, plus it probably changed the timing at the same time adding hp. But if you had a supercharger on the Ex yes it would be a worthwhile thing to do, and there are a couple companies who make the kit, like this one.

http://www.pointshop.com/Mall/Catal.../product-id/21161682/store-id/1000045133.html

And unfortunately John is not with SVT anymore so SVT and ford gets all the bucks from the super cooler...

Jim

I was under the impression that the 3rd gen Lightning was supposed to be coming out for 06 or 07 model year.

I had kinda thought that if you cooled off a tank of air and shot it right into your intake it might have similar effects, but just thinking about what the supercharger does, I guess you're right and it probably wouldn't do much good.

As for John, according to the article it says that he patented it himself... so maybe Ford didnt steal the patent when he left? Trying to look on the bright side kinda.

As a general rule, work an employee does in the course and scope of his employment belongs to the employer, same for patents. Maybe he and FORD had a deal.

Not to drag this thread off topic but most companies and I'm sure ford is the same way state that anything you invent even on your own time is property of the company. When I worked at Radio Shack I had to tell them if I had any Patents or was working on inventing something. :rolleyes:

Back