O/d light flashing - do I need a new transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O/d light flashing - do I need a new transmission

Wayne Billing

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Dear Friends: thanks for all the great information in this forum. A few days ago my o/d light started to flash. I read the related articles on the issue and disconnected my battery. That seemed to work for about a few kilometers until the o/d began to flash again.

Then as directed in the forum I took my 95 Explorer XLT 4x4 to a transmission repair shop and had the codes read.

The two related issues for the transmission were.
- transmission oil temp sensor and
- incorrect 3rd gear ratio

The shop reset the codes and the o/d light is no longer flashing; however, it also seems that the o/d is now no longer working as the vehicle does not seem to drop into the higher 4th gear while driving around the city and the rpms are about 500 higher.

I was told that I will need a new transmission and was quoted 3K CDN; however, I also have read in other postings that a new transmission did not fix this issue. Therefore, can anyone please offer some more diagnostic steps I can take before putting in a new transmission.

I called one shop today and they said it maybe a gasket, another shop said it could be an electrical issue.

So hence my confusion and wanting the assistance of the groups experience and expertise to assist me.

Many thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the welcome. The transmission shop has the codes stored and they told me if the o/d light comes back that they will rescan the transmission and see what codes came back.

However, I am still wondering if it is safe to be driving the vehicle.

i.e. will I damage the transmission more by driving it. Even though the o/d light is no longer flashing it seems that I have lost the ability to place the vehicle into o/d.

When I push the o/d button the o/d light will go on and off; however, the transmission does not drop in rpms.

I can really feel that the transmission is doing more work now and am worried that it will leave me stranded some where. Am I just being overly concerned?

I do not want to drop in an new transmission if it is not required.

Thanks

Welcome To The Forum! People have driven their vehicles with the O/D flashing already, not sure if it will do any more dammage to the tranny or not.

Well after getting the codes reset the o/d light stayed off for about 2 days and now the o/d light is flashing again. The transmission shifted harder than normal this evening and within seconds the o/d light began to flash again.

I called around for estimates and have been told everything from that it could be an electrical issue, to a gasket repair or needing a new transmission. So far the quotes for a new transmission have been b/t 2 and 3K.

Will keep the forum posted as to what happens. If I can save others money or headaches it will be worth the effort.

Also, how would I know if the PCM was faulty? Is there a test I can do for this module?

Cheers

Well after getting the codes reset the o/d light stayed off for about 2 days and now the o/d light is flashing again. The transmission shifted harder than normal this evening and within seconds the o/d light began to flash again.

I called around for estimates and have been told everything from that it could be an electrical issue, to a gasket repair or needing a new transmission. So far the quotes for a new transmission have been b/t 2 and 3K.

Will keep the forum posted as to what happens. If I can save others money or headaches it will be worth the effort.

Also, how would I know if the PCM was faulty? Is there a test I can do for this module?

Cheers

Considering it is an intermittant problem, can I ask when was the fluid and filter serviced last? What is the condition of the fluid? Pull the stick and touch the fluid to a towel.

what happened was the torque converter is mis-aligned with the shaft that goes in the middle of the tranny and it is burning up your gears and rings and gaskets so yes you will need to have the tranny shop rebuild it for you i just had the same thing happen to me about 2mths ago and thats what they did unfortunately it cost me $1700 vs the $3000 for a rebuilt one but my truck runs good so it was well worth it and only took 2 days so good luck!!

One person's problem is not automatically another person's problem. Reminds me of the time a friend had a gas cap not put on tight and got a Check Engine light. Once she had it read and they told her what it was, she then assumed that the check engine light coming on meant a loose gas cap.

It IS helpful to have the actual codes as read - I mean the code numbers, and not an interpretation.

A hard shifting transmission accompanied by the flashing OD light is caused by the transmission going into Failure Management Effects Mode (FMEM) and is normal. What I really need is a better description of the problem AND the codes.

Could it need a rebuild? Sure. DOES it? I dunno at this point.

Back