O2 Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O2 Sensor

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
My code is reading P0133 at Autozone. The printout they ran says "HO2S11 slow response (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1)."

So, which one of the two O2 sensors on my '97 5.0L is it? The one located in the left exhaust manifold or the other in the dual converter Y-pipe?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My code is reading P0133 at Autozone. The printout they ran says "HO2S11 slow response (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1)."

So, which one of the two O2 sensors on my '97 5.0L is it? The one located in the left exhaust manifold or the other in the dual converter Y-pipe?

Thanks!

You have four O2 sensors; two on each side. Bank one is the right hand (passenger) side; Sensor 1 is the first one in the exhaust manifold in front of the cat. IIRC, all of the connectors are on top of the tranny housing.

On the 5.0L, only one connection to O2 sensors (of four) is easy to access - the number 1 on driver side.
The rest are super hard to reach - you need to remove the center console INSIDE the cab, peel off the carpet and open the access panel in the middle of floor.
All while thanking Ford for this brilliant design.

you need to remove the center console INSIDE the cab, peel off the carpet and open the access panel in the middle of floor.

Unless you have a body lift. Then they are super easy to reach. ;)

On the 5.0L, only one connection to O2 sensors (of four) is easy to access - the number 1 on driver side.
The rest are super hard to reach - you need to remove the center console INSIDE the cab, peel off the carpet and open the access panel in the middle of floor.
All while thanking Ford for this brilliant design.

Unless you have access to a lift. With the vehicle in the air, I am able to get to all of the connectors by reaching around/above the transmission from underneath.
However - I concure w Sonic - it is a crappy design.

Back