• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

O2 Sensor

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
My code is reading P0133 at Autozone. The printout they ran says "HO2S11 slow response (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1)."

So, which one of the two O2 sensors on my '97 5.0L is it? The one located in the left exhaust manifold or the other in the dual converter Y-pipe?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

bobflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
My code is reading P0133 at Autozone. The printout they ran says "HO2S11 slow response (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1)."

So, which one of the two O2 sensors on my '97 5.0L is it? The one located in the left exhaust manifold or the other in the dual converter Y-pipe?

Thanks!

You have four O2 sensors; two on each side. Bank one is the right hand (passenger) side; Sensor 1 is the first one in the exhaust manifold in front of the cat. IIRC, all of the connectors are on top of the tranny housing.

SoNic67

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
On the 5.0L, only one connection to O2 sensors (of four) is easy to access - the number 1 on driver side.
The rest are super hard to reach - you need to remove the center console INSIDE the cab, peel off the carpet and open the access panel in the middle of floor.
All while thanking Ford for this brilliant design.

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's

Jason c

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited 5.0L
you need to remove the center console INSIDE the cab, peel off the carpet and open the access panel in the middle of floor.

Unless you have a body lift. Then they are super easy to reach. ;)

bobflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Powder Springs, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
On the 5.0L, only one connection to O2 sensors (of four) is easy to access - the number 1 on driver side.
The rest are super hard to reach - you need to remove the center console INSIDE the cab, peel off the carpet and open the access panel in the middle of floor.
All while thanking Ford for this brilliant design.

Unless you have access to a lift. With the vehicle in the air, I am able to get to all of the connectors by reaching around/above the transmission from underneath.
However - I concure w Sonic - it is a crappy design.