• Register Today It's free!

OBA using A/C Compressor

EMG7895

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
My a/c has been dead for a few years so its time that I did somthing with it. I''ve been reading up on oba and this thread is the most informative:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73529&page=1&pp=20
My problem is the oiling. THe wiring, plumbing and oil seperator are all easy, but providing oil to the compressor is the hard part, because tool oiler do not work well. Does anyone know If the compressor ca be tapped for an oil input? I also like the pressurized oil feeder but what to use for a resevoir?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you just add a few drops of oil every time you use it you should be alright.

Thats waht I'm planning on just to get it up and running but I would like to make something automatic, that provides a steady flow of oil. That also brings up the question of what type of oil to use.

air compressor oil prolly, though i cant imagine you could really go wrong.

I took some time to look at it and think about it and I think that I can attach the intake to an oil tank. The input side would have a filter on it and a tube going to the bottom of the tank, with a baffle between the input and output. Hopefully the compressor will pick up some oil but not too much. Anybody have any input, ideas?

Why dont you just install an inline oiler after the air filter and and oil/air seperator after the compressor. You could even have something recylce the oil from the seperator to the oiler.

What about volume? I wonder how long it will take to say fill a small tank or pump up a tire. If the volume is realy low, woulod it be worth it?

I did a search on Google and it returned some interesting stuff. The search results are below.

Google search

the stock air compressor is acually quite capable of quite a high pressure, as for its CFM rating, I dont know. But if its pumped to a holding tank then you should have no problem performing simply things like filling a tire, operating air tools for a short time, or running ARB's all day long.

sn0border88 said:
Why dont you just install an inline oiler after the air filter and and oil/air seperator after the compressor. You could even have something recylce the oil from the seperator to the oiler.
The problem with oilers is that they restrict air flow, and that the oil that the seperator takes out will be contaminated with water. I'm still searching for an oiler that can flow easily, but if not I'll end up making something.

You really don't need a seperator, just drain your air tank periodicly and you will be fine. I would just add a few drops of oil to the inlet before each use.
I did not read the search but what kind of air pressure is the compressor capable of?
Mark

Then again you could go back to just adding a few drops every time you use the compressor. Would be the best option for airflow and cost.

Use the York style compressor from an old Jeep vehicle for best results. It is quite literally just like the compressor part of a regular compressor, and capable of the same cfm/pressure. I had them on both my 84 and 85 Grand Wagoneers factory. I used a parts one and some fabricated brackets in place of the smog pump to run OBA and still have a/c.

good luck finding a serpentine belt long enough. If you read some of the links in the google search, one of them talks about adding oil before each use I think.

Back