Occams Razor and fuel pump pressure after priming? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Occams Razor and fuel pump pressure after priming?

massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
You might have to check the pin outs, if they match then I think you should be fine

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Can I swap the good ECU from my 93 5 speed (the X I'm having a problem with is an automatic)?

Yes you can swap the ECUs! The auto trans doesn’t have any control from the ECU. So no issues there and no trans codes either

<

MrQ

Smokey the clutch is; Missed shift you did
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
Yes you can swap the ECUs! The auto trans doesn’t have any control from the ECU. So no issues there and no trans codes either

That's not technically true. There is computer control of the tcc lockup and 3-4 shift. However you shouldn't have an issue with swapping the ECUs just for testing.

<

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
That's technically not true. There is computer control of the tcc lockup and 3-4 shift. However you shouldn't have an issue with swapping the ECUs just for testing.

Oh yah you’re right. I stand corrected! I knew after I posted that something didn’t sound right:D

<

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
Thanks, guys!

<

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
FIXED!!
I took the X to a mechanic who I imagine had a breakout box (I think that is what it is called) and he discovered the problem was no computer output telling the fuel injectors to pulse. The inputs were all fine. I guess that is why there were no fault codes, all sensors were working OK. I got a rebuilt computer for $135 from local auto parts store and the green X is back on the road.
The upside is this was ONE HECK of a learning experience, thanks to all who made suggestions. I learned more about the 1st Gen X engine management system in the last month than I had in the last 20 years. :)

<

bammbamm

Reaction score
City, State
arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer limited
Awesome! Glad to hear it's back up and running.

<

MrQ

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
Glad that got you back up and running. Those old EEC IV computers are cheap compared to the newer CANBUS units.

<

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
Aargh!!! The green X just failed the California smog check!! After a new computer, too, that's gratitude for you. The CEL came on under load (only) on the dyno, and the NOx were in the 700's both 15 and 25 mph. Still light pinging on hills. No CEL while driving. Hooked my code reader up: KOEO is 111, CM shows both 172 and 176 codes (HEGO sensor fault), KOER is 111.

Possibility the new computer is bad? Time to replace the cats or O2 sensor? Any and all opinions welcome!

<

MrQ

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
Off the top of my head, did you match the calibration on the old ECU with the new one? There were specific calibrations for California emissions, unless your truck was NOT originally bought in California.

Nonetheless, it is doubtful the new ECU is bad. You might have a vacuum leak somewhere. Its very rare to have both O2 sensors go out, I doubt they are bad.

<

roscoe 0202

Reaction score
City, State
salt lake city utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport
check the timing if the nox is high and it pings i'd bet it is advanced 10 degrees with the pip pulled
roscoe

<

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
Off the top of my head, did you match the calibration on the old ECU with the new one? There were specific calibrations for California emissions, unless your truck was NOT originally bought in California.

Nonetheless, it is doubtful the new ECU is bad. You might have a vacuum leak somewhere. Its very rare to have both O2 sensors go out, I doubt they are bad.

You were correct Mr. Q. ECU is correct. The O2 sensors are good, EGR is good, cats are good. The problem was several holes on the underside of the plastic pipe that goes from MAF to the throttle body (probably from rubbing on cables), causing vacuum leak with run lean with really high nox readings. Holes patched with silicone - passed smog with low nox!

<