• Register Today It's free!

OD Light flashing

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
Just a few minutes ago I went to a junkyard and befor I shut off the truck I noticed my OD light flashing...I shut it off and when I returned 15 minutes later and started it up the light wasnt flashing anymore.

Does anyone know why the OD light flashes? its on a 97 4.0 sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I searched around and it doesnt look good. It could be a tranny problem..I work at a garage and they have readers, so i'll get it looked at asap..

Does anyone know what reader should be used? I dont know much as i am just starting my spprentiship

btw, is only has 165 000Km on it

The flashing OD light means that a trans code has been set. You need a scan tool that can read Ford Extended codes to read it. I don't think a generic OBD 2 scan tool will do it. If you get the code, post it and I can look it up for you in the Service Manual.

alright thanks, I'll check the garage and see if they got the kind of scanner

Let us know what you find out. My 97 did the same thing at 163,000. I had had previous issues with my transmission for the previous 75,000 miles or so. Lots of slipping at times, less slipping at other.
The dealership took care of it early on saying that the transmission would be at about 90% and that was the best they could do without replacing it. That was around 90,000 miles. At 163,000 the slipping came back fiercely and then soon after the OD light started flashing. I talked a previous ford mechanic, who now works at a GM dealership. He said that with that many miles once the codes start poping up on the Ford transmissions they basically become junk and ultimately you are going to rebuild or replace it. I'm no transmission expert, but I picked up a used transmission for $450 and 90,000 miles on it and was able to have it put in for free. It's gone over 10,000 mile with no issues. The fluid in the old trans was about the worst smelling I had ever smelled.

Hopefully your fix will be more simple than that. Hopefully I didn't waste $450 for nothing!

I had the same problem at about 190,000 miles, it into the dealer and they said it was the proximidy sensor or something and changed it and there havent been any problems since

Well on Saturday I hooked up a scanner and the code was gone..I'v went for a trip and the light hasnt flashed. But I am going to change the fluid, its pretty brown and not bright red like new ATF.

But I have never had any problems with the tranny, it shifts perfect, doesnt slip or nothing...The only thing I hate is the passing gear or downshifting becasue sometimes it gives a huge jolt and sounds bad the for truck

Back