2001 Ford Explorer Sport OD light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer Sport OD light flashing

wlab2684

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford explorer
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport. About 3 weeks ago the OD light started flashing. Then would not engage the transmission would just rev up. I got a transmission flush and it went away until today. It has started again and will not drive at all unless I turn off the car then turn it back on. It still only will go for a few minutes then just revs up and will not go into any gear. I think the transmission fluid is getting hot. It has a smell to it. Does not appear to be burnt. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torque converter and an overhaul, my condolences. Get the codes read to be sure.

Wondering why the flush helped it for a little while? I drove it almost 1000 miles before it started up again.

Torque converter and an overhaul, my condolences. Get the codes read to be sure.

There is no check engine light or anything. And when I got the flush it worked for about 3 weeks and a 1000 miles which was weird to me.

If your TCIL was flashing, you have codes stored, accessible with a pro level scantool. Intermittent function is simply the nature of a TCC hydraulic circuit failure.

If your TCIL was flashing, you have codes stored, accessible with a pro level scantool. Intermittent function is simply the nature of a TCC hydraulic circuit failure.

So you are saying torque converter? So weird it worked with the flush for awhile then right back to the old ways.

I am GUESSING. Post the code(s) and we will know more. The hydraulic circuit has multiple failure points, from electronic, electrical, seals, valves, valve bores, even the piston inside the converter. As for the intermittent functioning, sometimes as the converter is self destructing the filter clogs with metal. Turn truck off, metal settles back into pan. And of course is picked up once again, clogging again.

I am GUESSING. Post the code(s) and we will know more. The hydraulic circuit has multiple failure points, from electronic, electrical, seals, valves, valve bores, even the piston inside the converter. As for the intermittent functioning, sometimes as the converter is self destructing the filter clogs with metal. Turn truck off, metal settles back into pan. And of course is picked up once again, clogging again.

Was going to take it to autozone to get codes read now it won't engage at all. Fluid has a burnt smell.

Sorry to hear that, see post #2 .

Mine just started doing this. If I shift into 2nd it works, but reverse is gone too. And the Check Engine light came on. Taking to get codes read and will post what I find out

Mine just started doing this. If I shift into 2nd it works, but reverse is gone too. And the Check Engine light came on. Taking to get codes read and will post what I find out
Roy, try to get on a decent scanner. Run-of-the-mill scanners won't read Ford transmission codes.
Best wishes,
Doc

Back