• Register Today It's free!

ODBII code scanners

IgotTwo

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg, N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT - 97 XLT SOHC
Anyone have any experience or comments on ODBII laptop based code scanners?
I ran across one that sells for “$167 with three connectors… 12% surcharge for e-commerce” (trying to avoid a plug)
Sooner or later, I know I’m going to have a “run in” with the check engine on my 97 SOHC. I don't want to be left cluelees if something craps out.
If I can avert at least one trip to the dealer, I think I'll be ahead of the game. I also have an OBDII Chevy, so its starting to look even better. It also might be fun to get into. Better said, if I don't, I'll loose my favorite hobby.

Any info on the coverage of codes, others to look into or other UNBAISED opinions would be appreciated.
("UNBAISED" because “AP” has been known to sniff the web...as he should! haha)

I invested in a reader, a cheap one..All I learned was the info in these threads is 95% correct..AS far as your other car,c***y, I'm sure we are not the only ones doing this.

mdrut, you have a 91 and igtotwo has a 97. the computer systems are different: obd1 vs obd2. and obd1 reader is 30-40 bucks, while and odd2 reader is between 150 and 200. just wanted to clear things up.

right...I have read a lot of articles and have done some reseach:
In 94 OBDII has introduced but was very limited. 1995 there were more but not all. I think it was in 1996 and beyond that manufacturers had to comply with OBDII service coding......that is not to say that manufacturers have additional code sets beyond basic ODBII compliance using the same technology. I think Ford is one. I understand that Ford has a very prolific code set. That is why I'm trying to get some sense of where these ?non profesional? or lower cost scanners stand against Fords and their codes. I think the tranny testing is an entirely different testing curcuit, also air bag testing.
I really do not know and was hoping for some insight.

I'm going up the learning curve and would really like to learn this stuff. A good start helps.

Back