• Register Today It's free!

Odd alarm issue

DragonOrca

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer, XLT
This started a few months ago, I have just unplugged the horn for now. Anytime I use the headlights, even if I turn them on and off, (so if the headlights come on at all) as soon as I turn the car off the alarm sounds (lights and all). I have no ideas on the issue.. please help.

For clarity - you do have the factory remote keyless entry / anti theft system correct? Does the system function normally otherwise?

I have not experienced it myself but I have read about window seal leaks allowing moisture into the area where the RKE / Anti theft modules are located (driverside rear wheel well in the cubby where the jack is located but further forward) on the 1st gen models causing random issues with the alarm going off / etc.

Thanks, when I got the car it had a leak in that area. So can be quite early the issue.

Check the hood switch drivers side near the brake booster. If the hood closed switch is not working you will get this symptom.
Also it is common for the drivers door "key lock" position switch to fall off== simple test is to use the key to unlock the door - if the alarm is triggered the key switch is faulty or has fallen off. you will need to pull the door panel to clip it back on. Usually the switch itself is fine but just got knocked off by an angry door slam.

Back