• Register Today It's free!

Odd behavior from the brakes

konaboy

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
So my '97 xlt 4 door has been a backup vehicle for a while now, hauls my drums, mountain bike, dog but not my daily driver anymore. Doesn't get used as much as it use to but still gets used.

A week or two ago got in it started driving and as I slowed to a stop I felt the pedal pulse and vibrate almost like the abs was kicking in but no light suggesting it was, and you could hear a small actuator motor groan by the pedal. Dry street, going straight and didn't do it till I was almost at a stop. Did it once more same exact scenario then didn't do it again.

It's done it everytime I've driven it now, not constantly but enough that it's definitely and issue I want to fix. Everytime it's under 10mph and almost at a complete stop when it happens, doesn't do it on rapid deceleration only stops you ease up to.

Pads and rotors are good and fairly new, not sure what else to be looking for? Last winter had a brake line blow and had a shop replace it but it's been driven quite a bit since then so I doubt it's an issue from that

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since it sits a lot I would think that checking the abs sensors and the tone ring in the rotors for rust or whatever would be in line for a first thing to try.

Since it sits a lot I would think that checking the abs sensors and the tone ring in the rotors for rust or whatever would be in line for a first thing to try.

O.k.

suggestions on how to test the sensors?

Very common problem, mine does the same thing, and it's on my list of maintenance to-do's.

You probably have a bad connection in one of the front sensor plugs (up behind the front bumper). A quick squirt of switch cleaner should do the trick.

You probably have a bad connection in one of the front sensor plugs (up behind the front bumper). A quick squirt of switch cleaner should do the trick.

Hey Howard what/where exactly are you talking about?

The sensors plug into the loom just by the rear of the fog lights by the chassis. Often damp gets in and makes a bad connection. Just trace the wire back from the hub and you will find the plug.

Back