atrout

Reaction score
City, State
Sun City Center, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 XLT
SOLVED!

2019 Explorer XLT 3.5
Liftgate says it's ajar. Can not get gate to release using any normal methods: interior release button, key fob, "kick" open, button under latch. Physically feels latched - can not push/pull and move liftgate. Attempted replacing fuse no change.

Of course with gate ajar, if I lock car alarm ocassionally goes off.

Drove this evening, Interior lights stayed on. After I parked, interior light went out but courtesy lights under mirrors stayed on. The alarm went off again.

Removed battery cable so as to not drain battery upset neighbors.

Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Powered or non-powered liftgate?

Was that fuse F11 under the dash? F69 under the hood?

Have you scanned the BCM and the liftgate module for any fault codes?

Are there any observed concerns with the driver's door keypad or the rear HVAC operation?

This post was moved here from another thread for the same vehicle, so it doesn't seem to make sense.
In the other post it was stated that lights were staying on and the liftgate would not open from any input, which makes it hard to diagnose or fix.
This video below is an example of a way to open a liftgate when it won't open by normal means.
Once open you can start to try to diagnose the problem.
If the dome or puddle lights are staying on, then there may be a problem with the switch that is internal to the latch.
Most likely a latch replacement would be needed, but you have to get the liftgate open to diagnose or replace it.

If it is anything like the Ford Edge latch, then there is a hole that you stick a small pick into.
Here is a video of a guy getting his open. I hope it helps, these things are a pain when they break and won't open.
Somewhere in the video he finds the hole which is on the latch near the middle of the liftgate.
1:35 in the video shows the hole once the hatch is open. I can only guess that the Explorer might be the same design.

2019 Explorer XLT 3.5
Liftgate says it's ajar. Can not get gate to release using any normal methods: interior release button, key fob, "kick" open, button under latch. Physically feels latched - can not push/pull and move liftgate. Attempted replacing fuse no change.

Of course with gate ajar, if I lock car alarm ocassionally goes off.

Drove this evening, Interior lights stayed on. After I parked, interior light went out but courtesy lights under mirrors stayed on. The alarm went off again.

Removed battery cable so as to not drain battery upset neighbors.

Ideas?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The most common issue that caused that warning was when the Securicode keyless keypad became unattached causing issues with the wiring.
The lights under the mirror should have turned OFF after 10 minutes. Did you wait that long? The Battery Saver program will turn OFF all lights after 10 minutes except for the parking lights.
If both fuses are good and you don't hear anything at the liftgate when activating an unlock feature, it could be that the lock actuator is bad.
Part #15 in the diagram. Liftgate for 2019 Ford Explorer | Levittown Ford Parts

Peter

Was that fuse F11 under the dash? F69 under the hood?

Have you scanned the BCM and the liftgate module for any fault codes?

Are there any observed concerns with the driver's door keypad or the rear HVAC operation?

SOLVED!

My situation go better this morning. I reconnected the battery cable! After an overnight rest, the hard reset fixed the "Problem".

I want to Thank those who replied to my post. ProjectSHO89: I wasn't even aware of Fuse 11 under the dash. While YouTubing best way to obtain access to under dash fuse panel, his final words were "I reconnected the battery cable and the problem went away".

I also want to thank 4pointslow: who pointed out the manual release access panel for the latchgate. New tricks to file away.

I'm especially thankful I didn't have to lay on my back under the dash working in handcuffs. I hope I never have to access the interior fuse panel!

Great support community! Thank you all!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The most common issue that caused that warning was when the Securicode keyless keypad became unattached causing issues with the wiring.
The lights under the mirror should have turned OFF after 10 minutes. Did you wait that long? The Battery Saver program will turn OFF all lights after 10 minutes except for the parking lights.
If both fuses are good and you don't hear anything at the liftgate when activating an unlock feature, it could be that the lock actuator is bad.
Part #15 in the diagram. Liftgate for 2019 Ford Explorer | Levittown Ford Parts

Peter

SOLVED!

Thank you Peter and those who replied here and under the model year sub-forum.

Long story short; Disconnected battery overnight. Reconnected after hard reset and problem went away. As I stated in other forum, I'm grateful I didn't have to access the under dash fuse panel!

Thank you Community! A few new troubleshooting tricks learned and didn't need the dealership.

Andy

Happy to hear it's working now but I'm concerned whether or not it will stay that way.

Everything related to the tailgate does have to go through that module - door ajar and "open" switch inputs, actuator, etc. If that module isn't working for ANY reason (loss of power or ground, loss of communications with the BCM, just plain "confused", etc), the liftgate won't work at all regardless of the switches or actuator etc. Since you were getting the "Liftgate ajar" message, that does rule out the actuator, though.

Best of luck with it!.

Back