Odd issue when restarting Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odd issue when restarting Explorer

SavaX

Reaction score
City, State
Chico, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 V6 Mountaineer
Hoping you all could help out with an odd issue on my explorer.

When I start it up, I have to wait for it to warm up before turning it off, otherwise it won't start again for about 10 minutes.

I can hear the fuel pump going when I cycle the key, and it'll crank and crank with no start unless I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then it'll fire right up no problem.

Any insight is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you getting spark? I'm kinda of reaching but maybe a relay or coil? Someone may chime in and have a better answer...Merry Christmas!

What codes came up when you pulled?

I've heard the crank sensors occasionally do this or something similar on the 4.0 SOHC, which is all the Mountaineers came with as far as I know outside of V8s, other things that come to mind are the coil pack itself gets hot and isn't strong enough to make spark, or the cam sensor MIGHT be kicking the bucket.

Hey guys, sorry for not updating. I just replaced the thermostat housing (and tstat) which came with new sensors, so I don't think it's the ECT. I'll check the coolant level again to see if that's it.

Wanted to update in case anyone else has this problem. Coolant level was low. I topped it off and on the next drive the thermostat was stuck open. Replaced that again and it seems to be running ok now.

I've heard the crank sensors occasionally do this or something similar on the 4.0 SOHC, which is all the Mountaineers came with as far as I know outside of V8s, other things that come to mind are the coil pack itself gets hot and isn't strong enough to make spark, or the cam sensor MIGHT be kicking the bucket.

Cam sensor has nothing to do with starting and the engine will run with a bad cam sensor (like crap, but it will still run).

One thing it can be is a faulty fuel pressure regulator housing. If it has cracks in it, when you first turn the key, the fuel pump activates for about 3 seconds. If the system is leaking at the plastic housing or internal hoses, the pressure does not reach and hold (for your '99) 62 psi. It may get to 30 then it falls to 5 in a few seconds, which is not enough to let fuel through the injectors. Try this: Turn the key on, leave on for 3 seconds, turn off, then turn on again and activate starter this time. And if that doesn't work, do one more cycle: On 3 secs, off, on 3 secs, off, on/start. If this works, you have found your problem, but not solved it. You still have to replace the internal hoses or the fuel pressure regulator housing; or the whole assembly. They are pretty cheap now, I got one for $65 recently.

Hoping you all could help out with an odd issue on my explorer.

When I start it up, I have to wait for it to warm up before turning it off, otherwise it won't start again for about 10 minutes.

I can hear the fuel pump going when I cycle the key, and it'll crank and crank with no start unless I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then it'll fire right up no problem.

Any insight is appreciated!
savaX you can avoid the problem by not starting it up unless you intend to drive it

Back