Odd reverse behavior | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odd reverse behavior

Reason

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer Limited
I just bought a 2004 Ford Explorer Limited and am loving it. Had a mechanic take a good look at it and he gave me the thumbs up with one or two little things that needed attention. Now that I'm driving it though I'm encountering an odd behavior.

When I put it in to reverse and apply the gas it sometimes takes a few seconds to start moving. Its almost as if its in neutral and then suddenly decides to reverse. I've never encountered this before, but have also never driven a 4x4 before. It was in 4x4 Hi while reversing out of a snow covered parking space. The tires weren't spinning, the engine just revved, then the wheels seemed to 'catch' and it sort of lurched in to motion. Haven't had a problem really since.

Any ideas? Is this something I should be worried about?

-Reason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

theres a TSB from ford for it. Mines doing it too I need to take it in. im non 4x4 so its a tranny issue if anything.

Does anyone know the part number or where to buy the Ford Tranny additive that's mentioned in all of the TSBs as simply "Transmission Additive".

its a sealed tranny theres no real way to change fluid change fluid etc.

it should be a free service at the dealer even out of warranty I beleive. I need to get mine in after seeing the laundry list of things to be done.....I found a good ten issues I have symptoms of.

does it do this on dry pavement while in auto 4wd?

had the same issue with the 2005 XLT i have. it has nothing to do with the transmission. its the computer and the way its programmed

does it do this on dry pavement while in auto 4wd?

Tried it earlier today without 4x4. When i put it in reverse it takes 2 or 3 seconds before I feel it drop in to reverse. So when I go back to the used car place I bought it from what should I be asking them to do to it?

theres a TSB from ford for it. Mines doing it too I need to take it in. im non 4x4 so its a tranny issue if anything.

Is 04B22-10013306 the TSB you're talking about?

EDIT: First off, thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm new to all this so I'm learning as I go. I didn't even know what a TSB was until Conig mentioned it forcing me to look it up. From what I've read though there are two fixes - if your vehicle is not exhibiting this behavior and your vehicle is a 2004-2005 vehicle built prior to 09/23/2004 and equipped with the 5R55S transmission then installing transmission additive would prevent the behavior I described.

But if you are ALREADY experiencing this behavior then TSB 05-21-8 says that you must replace the solenoid body assembly. Merely adding transmission additive will not fix it.

If anyone is curious what is on TSB 05-21-8 just hit the link.

-Reason

what is this transmission additive everyone keeps talking about?

Back