Odd starting issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Odd starting issue

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford sport trac XLT
Been having an issue with my 05 sport trac XLT. On first start of the day I have no problems, runs great. Every startup after that in the same day is very rough, and just recently got to the point where it will die after a few seconds. If I feather the throttle for a second before it dies it will smooth out and run fine until next start up.

There’s no check engine light and no stored code however I have a battery light that I cannot seem to get to go away. I have just recently replaced the alternator and had the battery and alternator checked, both cleared fine. Changed the connections on the terminals, cleaned all wires, light persists.

Battery is from 06/19 but like I said it cleared when tested.

**************Update to thread 01/16/22***************

I found that I had zero coolant in the radiator, I filled it and checked for any leaks but I couldn’t find any. I checked the oil to make sure there was not an internal crack anywhere and oil checked out normal amber color.

I thought I had done a full Maintenance and fluid top off when I got the transmission rebuilt but I guess I missed the coolant some how.

I then also changed the fuel filter which seemed good but I’m not sure how the internal collection works on these filters. There seemed to be pretty high back pressure from the tank -> fuel filter although I was unable to get a reading on the fuel pressure so I can’t be sure.

I haven’t had any issues starting it up both in 80° and 60° weather since so I assume the issue is fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might have a bad coolant temp sensor. Typically if the motor is totally cold, or totally hot they’ll start fine. Anywhere in the middle it’s hard to start, at least in my experience.

You might have a bad coolant temp sensor. Typically if the motor is totally cold, or totally hot they’ll start fine. Anywhere in the middle it’s hard to start, at least in my experience.
Would this cause my battery light to be stuck on?

The two issues aren’t likely to be related.

Are you sure there’s not a charging issue? What’s the battery voltage when running at idle?

Are you sure there’s not a charging issue? What’s the battery voltage when running at idle?
So I had it checked at an autozone because I can’t find my meter but,
car off 100% charge : 12.9
Idle : 13.8 if I’m remembering correctly
Held at 2k rpm : 14.Something

So I had it checked at an autozone because I can’t find my meter but,
car off 100% charge : 12.9
Idle : 13.8 if I’m remembering correctly
Held at 2k rpm : 14.Something
Nothing wrong with those numbers!

Back