Odd ticking noise

LesMinton

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
hi all

I am getting this ticking noise under the hood 'somewhere'. It only happens when I am in drive and accelerating. If I am in the driveway giving it gas I do not get the noise. It sounds like when I was a kid and I would tape a playing card to my bike frame so that it would tick through the bike spokes.

I should note I have not noticed any performance issues related to this. And when I am cruising at highway speed, the ticking is not noticeable, only under acceleration.

I have a 2000 Explorer XLT with the 4.0. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is is more of a clicking sound or does it sound like the engine is pinging (spark knocking)? If it's more of a clicking sound, my vote would be an exhaust manifold gasket leak. If it sounds like pinging and occurs between 2000 - 3000 RPMs it could be the "death rattle" (I assume you have the SOHC motor).

Is is more of a clicking sound or does it sound like the engine is pinging (spark knocking)? If it's more of a clicking sound, my vote would be an exhaust manifold gasket leak. If it sounds like pinging and occurs between 2000 - 3000 RPMs it could be the "death rattle" (I assume you have the SOHC motor).

Death rattle? That sounds bad... No it is more of a clicking sound, and a gasket would probably make sense, as I noticed today it got louder as I got into it getting onto the turnpike.

when is the last time you checked your oil. Most cars when they get low on oil or is in need of oil changes you will get a tick sound, almost like the valves hitting the cover. The oil light doesn't necessarily come on until it is usually too late. I would look at this.

when is the last time you checked your oil. Most cars when they get low on oil or is in need of oil changes you will get a tick sound, almost like the valves hitting the cover. The oil light doesn't necessarily come on until it is usually too late. I would look at this.
Yeah, first thing I checked. Been there before, got the t-shirt. Its a different sound, it doesnt sound like valves.

Back