• Register Today It's free!

Ticking Noise...

WCL

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I've developed a ticking noise in my '00 Explorer. It's a 4.0 OHV...

It had been sitting for about a week before I drove it. I drove it for about 5 miles and then parked it. A few hours later I got in a cranked it and noticed a weird vibration coming from the drivetrain. I then drove it maybe 200 yards down my driveway. A few hours later I got in, cranked it up and that's when I noticed the clicking noise coming from the engine area. It does increase as the rpm's increase. My first thought was oil, so I checked that, but the level was normal, it needs changing, but it was normal. However, it does sound like a valve rattle or maybe an exhaust leak.

This little excursion was only the second time it had been driven in a period of roughly 3 weeks. When I first got in to drive it I didn't notice the ticking - it may have been doing it then but it was raining pretty hard and I probably wouldn't have heard it.

Any ideas before I have to take it to a mechanic? I know "noises" are the hardest thing to pinpoint, but is there something specific I should try to hunt down such as exhaust leak, etc.?

Thanks for the help!

Back