OEM Tonneau cover stuck in front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Tonneau cover stuck in front

joshgfeller

Reaction score
Ok, So for some reason my key won't open my tonneau cover in the front. Also I know there is a inside release in there too but it seems stuck as well. Is there a way to take a screw driver or something and push on the locks in the front on the inside to realease this so I can work on it?

Thanks
Josh

Yeah you'll just need to take a flat head screw driver and try and jimmy the lock open. It's possible, I've had to do it many times. Just crawl in there with a flashlight. My locks became such a hassle I finally just removed them.

to elaborate a bit on the last post, take the flathead screwdriver and stick it in where the latch is on the passenger side ( I think? ) of the truck and pry the cable down. You should see the latch unlock and you're good to go.

edit: There might also be a cable handle at the front and back you can try pulling to release. I used mine a couple times but they didn't work so great and I ended up gettting mad and ripping them off trying to open the covers. The point is if they're there you can try them to see if the covers will open.

Just an FYI. You've likely broken off the plastic tabs inside the mechanism and will have to replace it and the cables if you want to open it with a key again.

Back