• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

X97

Reaction score
City, State
Rocky Springs, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
POS
Alright, this may sound stupid, but I just want to get a general idea of everyone's opinion and what they think I should do.

My Explorer is a '97 2WD...now I like the offroading lifestyle and have enjoyed doing it in the past because it's fun. But now I'm kind of confused as to what I really want to do to my X since it is 2WD. Besides a sound system which I'm already planning on getting, I could put a lift kit on it, big tires, maybe rims even. Or I could make it a street truck; put a billet grille on it, maybe some rims too, and a couple of other things here and there. But that's about it. There's no way I would lower it. I know it's "my choice", but what do you guys think I should do? Offroad or Street?

-Cliff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't vote cause I've done both ;) Mine doesn't look like a street truck, but it sure moves like one! From a financial standpoint, you can usually get the 'offroad look' for cheaper than the 'street look'. Basically since 15" offroading rims and larger tires are cheaper than plus sizing wheels and tires.

But, if you're never gonna take the thing offroad, then try not to be a poser.

Beware of the mod bug, when it bites it can bite hard!

Street... i like 4x4's raised and playin in the mudd, but like i said, i like 4x4's doing it. make it a sweet street x and get a play 4x4 to wheel with

The truth is I don't like riding low. I feel safer being up high, and that's one of the reasons I got my Explorer in the first place. But that's just me.

Hope that answers your question.

Leave it stock height, put some mean lookin all terrains on it (BFGs or the new Nittos), get sway bars and edelbrock shocks for it and then do some performance mods. Put some exterior mods on it like a billet grill and such and get the best of both worlds. You'll have a truck that looks good, handles better than stock, and is still able to romp around in light off road or gravel roads without having to worry bout ground clearance.

I agree woth cougar, maybe even get some Poly Bushings.. that will help the stock ride a lot! get rid of the swaying and what not.
Some nice 17" rims with alittle bit wider of a tire will look sweet!

ONE day i plan on getting 17" wheels but i want to make sure the height of the tire is still close to 30 " as aposed to 28" stock height.

I VOTE STREET!!! Especially since you got a 2WD X

street

I would definately lean toward the street side. Improve the handling and performance but don't go for the lift and bigger tires. You can still go with nerf bars, bush guard etc to keep the "offroad look" if you like. I would also keep it at stock height. Let us know what you decide and advise us of mods carried out as you do them.

i feel violated!!! why did chuckyD try to edit my post! haha :)

DID I???... i dont even remember doing that... maybe i thought it was mine... :confused:
Sorry!

:( i feel violated by chuckyd.... its cool man i was just thinking if i wrote anything bad in it ha.

Well I already have the stock running boards on the side...I think what I'll do is first put in my system and maybe a billet grille and I'll do the rest (if any) later on.

Thanks all that posted/vosted, I appreciate it. :D

What you getting for a system?

street might be better. if you want to offroad, get a cheap 4X4. then you wont worry about breaking stuff.
you can pick up a 91 explorer for less then $2K.

since it is a gen II x, soup it up like the police explorers..... 1" drop, sway bars, good tires... on the stock rims....with other performance mods also......and no body kit stuff.... stock appearance sleeper....

forgot to ask. What engine is in your explorer?
if it's the 5.0, you could do something like the Troll:
www.speedfreak.cc
:)

Mmkay...

System plans: Sony Xplod CD Player (already have that), and one or two Solo Baric 10's or just one 12 (depends on how much money I have), and a Rockford amp...as for watts, I don't know yet.

Engine: 4.0L SOHC V6

Hope that helps for all that wanted to know.

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

offroad is good build a 4x4 and take it wheeling.... Mud is good.

Back