oil and oil pressure | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oil and oil pressure

never do 20w50, to heavy for this engine, the pressure will drop more or not even rise with that oil on this engine...

Complete bull, go back to school. The world was not born the day before you got out of school. Oil is not some magic thing which boils or does any other wild thing just because some book/manual/service writer says it isn't approved.

Stop spreading myths. Oil is great now compared to what it was 30 years ago. All oils are better, and engines are still built with the same bearings and clearances that they were then.

30 years ago 10/40 and 20/50 oils were commonly recommended for countless engines. They will perform no less well now because some fool wrote an owner's manual specifying 0/20 or 10/30 etc.

I did not suggest putting a 20/50 oil in the engine permanently. Do it to help diagnose what the noise is. The worst thing that can possibly happen is an immeasurable drop in fuel economy. Do what you want, I try to help but too many people who cannot do anything but worship a manual keep chiming in. Good luck,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Complete bull, go back to school. The world was not born the day before you got out of school. Oil is not some magic thing which boils or does any other wild thing just because some book/manual/service writer says it isn't approved.

Stop spreading myths. Oil is great now compared to what it was 30 years ago. All oils are better, and engines are still built with the same bearings and clearances that they were then.

30 years ago 10/40 and 20/50 oils were commonly recommended for countless engines. They will perform no less well now because some fool wrote an owner's manual specifying 0/20 or 10/30 etc.

I did not suggest putting a 20/50 oil in the engine permanently. Do it to help diagnose what the noise is. The worst thing that can possibly happen is an immeasurable drop in fuel economy. Do what you want, I try to help but too many people who cannot do anything but worship a manual keep chiming in. Good luck,

what would 20/50 do? would it help with ticking?also what filter would you use?
Posted via Mobile Device

...get the FL1A from ....

Oil is rated in viscosity, the first number is the thickness when cold, the last is the thickness when hot. The 20/50 will be thicker at temperature more than the 10/30 which is likely the book recommendation. If the noise doesn't change with that, then it's likely the noise is from something besides oil pressure or the oiling system. As mentioned, higher lift camshafts often create more valvetrain noise. With roller rockers as an example some noise is often expected.

In any case if the engine seems fine or drivable when the break in is over, and you choose to go on with it, change to the best oil that you can. Amsoil is about as good as you can get, I use the Signature Series and their oil filters. That oil will protect an engine better than what you can buy locally. Regards,

ill try it out.it just might be how this motor is going to sound,there is just a big difference from cold to warm noise .yea I use amsoil in my bikes its good stuff just pricey,I've really like the castrol for my cars though but with all the money I got in this thing I think I will be going to amsoil in it too.thanks for the help and will let you know if a thicker oil helps
Posted via Mobile Device

sounds like cam bearings
I never heard cam bearings sound like a ticking and I know everything is getting oil
Posted via Mobile Device

Oil is rated in viscosity, the first number is the thickness when cold, the last is the thickness when hot. The 20/50 will be thicker at temperature more than the 10/30 which is likely the book recommendation. If the noise doesn't change with that, then it's likely the noise is from something besides oil pressure or the oiling system. As mentioned, higher lift camshafts often create more valvetrain noise. With roller rockers as an example some noise is often expected.

In any case if the engine seems fine or drivable when the break in is over, and you choose to go on with it, change to the best oil that you can. Amsoil is about as good as you can get, I use the Signature Series and their oil filters. That oil will protect an engine better than what you can buy locally. Regards,

so i went with that filter and castrol 20/50 oil and wow it made a huge difference its WAY quieter,even hot.it still makes noise but i took it by my friend at the machine shop and he said it sounds fine just old pushrod motors make all that noise so.would it be bad to run 20/50 oil in it all the time?what would be the affects?do they make just like a straight 20 or 30 weight?would that any better?whats the thickest oil i should run after break in?

i just put a real guage in my 94 explorer today when i start it its a 50 psi after ideling for about 25 minutes it drops down to about 25 - 30 psi. The motor runs great no ticking or anything. is that psi sound about right to you guys?

That sounds about right. Once you drive around in summer heat (do you even get that up there?) your idle pressure will drop closer to 20psi. The normally checked pressure is at 2000 rpms. You should have 40+ at 2k rpms.

~Mark

is that 40 psi at 2000 rmp at ideling? or while driving?

If your asking do you need to be sitting still or driving, I don't think it matters. We get the same reading at 2000 rpms at stand still or driving..

At Idle (750ish rpms) we are close to 20 when the engine is hot (30 minute driving in 100+ temps)

~Mark

ok good, i figure as long as i have some pressure goin its helpin..lol but go i wanted to make sure that 20 wasnt two low... but now i put it in drive and it lowered to 15 psi.. i guess its just the ford in it

ok im still getting that ticking and went by my engine shop again and talked to the boss and he said 20 was to low and i told him thats what everyone is running he said maybee but he thinks it the crank bearing clearance.if it was the crank wouldnt i be seeing way lower numbers?what else could be causing this thing to tick so loud when warm?i pulled up next to a diesel the other day and my truck was louder than it!!i know the rods and rockers are in spec so do you all think it might be best to just get that high volume pump or would that just be covering up the real problem?

anyone got any other ideas?i would be seeing lower psi numbers if the crank or cam bearings was out of spec right?im about to tear the motor down again to find a crack so any help or ideas what to look for would be great?

20 at idle is just the way it is man. It is kinda low compared to other motors, but thats just how this one is..

20 at idle is just the way it is man. It is kinda low compared to other motors, but thats just how this one is..

i know that but im getting really loud ticking and trying to figure out what could be causing it
Posted via Mobile Device

A motor that is prone to ticing when hot when stock, combined with an aftermarket cam.

I think it's just the way it is man. A lot of people run 5 or 10w40 oil to help, but they just tend to tick..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you tear it down. Plastigauge is your friend. Also check your rocker arms and pushrods for excessive play and wear.

Back