• Register Today It's free!

low oil pressure

beandip81

Reaction score
City, State
hubert north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 sport
I got a couple of problems,but I don't know if they are related. When it is cold outside when starting engine it won't idle. When I finally get it running the check gage light is on with very low oil pressure. After a few minutes oil pressure jumps to normal pressure. It always stays at normal while driving.After engine is warm it is easy to start and oil pressure is good. I took it to a gargage and the boy told me it was the idle control motor. I put the new solenoid on yesterday, but it is still hard to start. I am new to forum, and hopefully you all can help me out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same problem!! I sure could use some help on this too. Anybody with any ideas, PLEASE reply.

As far as the oil problem, first should make sure that you have oil pressure.... that would be bad if the gauge is actually telling you the truth. It could be a problem with oil pressure switch unit and / or the electrical connection to the unit. If the switch doesn't close, then your reading will be zero which might happen when the thing is cold. On the poor idle, you should probably go thru the "large number" of threads that exist and try some of their guidance... some of which you have already tried with the IAC replacement. It potentially sounds like you might have a vacuum leak.

Thank you for the reply. I do have good oil pressure. I was just wondering if the sending unit could be the problem or the gauge itself. The idle problem, I will be installing an IAC tomorrow. I decided that would be my best shot because of so many Explorers are having this problem but the gauge is really worrysome. I need that to be in proper working order so it can let me know if there is a REAL problem quickly.

I just had the same problem start the other day on my 99 Ex. Has anyone replaced the sending unit and resolved the problem? Also where is the sending unit located on the 99 SOHC?

Here ya' go.

Attachments

• oil sender.gif
    oil sender.gif
    57.6 KB · Views: 608

I just had the same problem start the other day on my 99 Ex. Has anyone replaced the sending unit and resolved the problem? Also where is the sending unit located on the 99 SOHC?
It is on the driver side of the block near the A/C compressor. It should have a single dark green/white wire going to it. It is visible from below or through the DS wheel well.

It is on the driver side of the block near the A/C compressor. It should have a single dark green/white wire going to it. It is visible from below or through the DS wheel well.

thanks for the info...

I looked again and it looks like it is just front of center through the wheel well when you take that rubber flap out... is that it?

if so, not much room to work. do I use a deep socket wrench?

I don't think an open end will work.

new part has white tape on it, for seal I guess... one of the posts I read said don't use anything on threads as it will mess up grounding??? true? false?

Thanks

Use the DG/WH color code on the wire to be sure that you are on the right sensor. I don't remember what I used but an ordinary deep socket might not clear the connector. Torque spec for the new sensor is 15 lb-ft.

It has a 1/4NPT taper pipe thread so it's hard to imagine that a small amount sealant would cause any grounding problems. If the new sensor has tape/sealant on it, that is probably what it needs. FWIW, the factory shop manual does not mention adding sealant.

AWESOME-AWESOME-AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

I had to buy a 13/16 deep socket and get to it through the wheel well,
but I did it!!!!!

I love this car stuff- I wish I had done this earlier in life- think of all of the money I could have saved.

I just did a rear axle on my 2000 crown vic police interceptor (WHo da thunk)
and now this.

this is my 2nd explorer I had a 93 and now a 2001.. I just also got a
1990 Mustang GT convertible with only 38,000 miles on it.

As you can see I like FORDS.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Back