Oil Change interval | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Well my "point of view" is that, and not to over simply it, but the EOLM is based on science,while the other interval is based on more of a routine?, so regardless of your driving you change at the 5000km interval.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the IOLM (Intelligent Oil Life Monitor) is likely a very useful thing to have since it does take various conditions into consideration. Having said that, and as I have posted before, I will continue to change the oil every 6 months which in my case works out to about 6000 kms (2000 mi) due to the many short trips I make. $40 twice a year wasn't exactly a huge cost with the Explorer and my oil changes are now free with the MKT. I use the regular premium 5W-30 oil as recommended by the dealer.

Peter

I think the IOLM (Intelligent Oil Life Monitor) is likely a very useful thing to have since it does take various conditions into consideration. Having said that, and as I have posted before, I will continue to change the oil every 6 months which in my case works out to about 6000 kms (2000 mi) due to the many short trips I make. $40 twice a year wasn't exactly a huge cost with the Explorer and my oil changes are now free with the MKT. I use the regular premium 5W-30 oil as recommended by the dealer.

Peter

I agree with the 2X/year, which I use with my Nissan. That usually is 3500 miles. I'm not going any longer. With the EX, I have been changing the oil every 5,000 with is approx. 4X per year. I don't agree with these extended oil change intervals, and good luck to the folks that use them. My IOLM is currently telling me I can go approx 9800 miles. That's just not going to happen!

I agree with the 2X/year, which I use with my Nissan. That usually is 3500 miles. I'm not going any longer. With the EX, I have been changing the oil every 5,000 with is approx. 4X per year. I don't agree with these extended oil change intervals, and good luck to the folks that use them. My IOLM is currently telling me I can go approx 9800 miles. That's just not going to happen!

Been down this road before but in summary...Consumers Report did a long term study of NYC Taxi cabs with half using 3000 mile OCI and the other half the manufacturers recommend interval. After 100,000 of thousand of miles of driving they tore the engines down and in fact found no difference in engine wear, sludge, oil consumption etc. Search Consumer Reports Taxi cab oil test and you can find the info. This was probably five years ago but it would still be applicable. For the main study they used conventional oils but they did run Mobil 1 in a couple of taxi's and in fact one of them suffered an engine failure. I think they said they determined the failure was not related to lubrication.

I'm going to say no, don't use this. The sports state to use 5w-30 so I'd stick with that.

Ya I was wondering about that.....thanks.....Mobile1 5w-30 is pretty cheap at Walmart when its on "rollback" sale.

Be looking for you SGT.on you tube -the people at Walmart

When to change your oil?

HI, I am driving a 2015 Explorer Sport. My Manual explains that my vehicle will warn me when to change my oil. The dealership tells me to change every 8000 KM. Of course the 8000 KM is far sooner then my oil life monitor tells me.

What are others doing? Going by mileage or relying on the oil life monitor?

Thanks,
Andrew

I normally go by the warning of the vehicle. Unless you get an oil analysis done, everything anybody is going to tell you is just opinion. I get about 10,000 miles out of an oil change but I frequently get $8.95 oil change coupons mailed to me from my Ford dealer so I take advantage of those.. for $9, why not.

The oil change interval will vary by user... mileage, idle time, age of oil etc. Oil has come a long way but what is more important then the oil is the filter. What's the point of having good oil if you have a crap filter that doesn't do its job?? I only use Motorcraft filters OR Mobil 1 filters... Do NOT use Fram.. they are complete junk!!

I change my own at 5,000 mile intervals. I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance with a Mobil One Filter. My local retail chain parts store, usually runs a special on the Mobil 1 combo every couple of months and I just pick it up when its on sale.
I reset the Oil Life Monitor each time as well, but otherwise I don't pay much attention to it.

Just got one of those coupons in the mail today from my Ford dealer, $7.95 oil change.. Guess I'll be visiting him soon.

What's the point of having good oil if you have a crap filter that doesn't do its job?? I only use Motorcraft filters OR Mobil 1 filters... Do NOT use Fram.. they are complete junk!!

Words of wisdom right there!!!!

I use Motorcraft or Purolator Pure1 filters with the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil or Penzoil at 5000 mile intervals.

I also use a Motorcraft oil filter on my Kawasaki motorcycle.:thumbsup:

HI, I am driving a 2015 Explorer Sport. My Manual explains that my vehicle will warn me when to change my oil. The dealership tells me to change every 8000 KM. Of course the 8000 KM is far sooner then my oil life monitor tells me.

Thanks,
Andrew
I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Thanks,
Andrew

I change mine at 5,000 miles which is basically 8,000 km. That's what I'd do. 10,000 mile or 16,000 km oil changes just are not worth the risk to me.

10,000 mile or 16,000 km oil changes just are not worth the risk to me.

Complete BS. Full synth oil lab tests OK to at least 10,000 miles. There is no risk. This has been proven over and over again.

We can debate oil change intervals until the cows come home. For me, I'll never go over 5,000 in any of my vehicles. Like the old commercial used to say...Pay me now, or pay me later.

We can debate oil change intervals until the cows come home. For me, I'll never go over 5,000 in any of my vehicles. Like the old commercial used to say...Pay me now, or pay me later.
IT's not a risk if you understand the engineering and chemistry.

The whole "change oil every 3,000 mile" movement was purely one of marketing from service providers.

Changing oil at recommended intervals provides plenty of safety for your engine. It also reduces cost, environmental impact, etc.

Complete BS. Full synth oil lab tests OK to at least 10,000 miles. There is no risk. This has been proven over and over again.

Changing the oil and filter has to be one of the easiest and most beneficial services you can perform. I'm sure my oil quality would test "Ok" at 10k miles but to me its not worth the risk of pushing it to its limits when for under $50 and an hour of my time I can change it myself. To each its own.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I worry more about the filter than the oil. While it may cost you a bit more, changing your oil more frequently induces no risk, while extending too far is a real risk. And at the current service price of changing oil, it is pretty cheap. While you wait, you can try to drink $20 of free coffee in the waiting room to offset the cost.:)

Back