• Register Today It's free!

transmission drain plug

swandog

Reaction score
City, State
Mpls, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 xlt
Has anybody installed a drain plug in their transmission pan? If so where do I find such a thing? I looked at autozone the other day but didn't see one... I need to drop the pan here in a couple of weeks (oil/filter change) and I would like to make it easier to change the trans oil (or at least some of it). Not sure how many miles I have left in the tranny but I would like to squeeze out as many as possible...

Thanks
Doug

'00 Exp sohc V6 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They don't install a plug from the factory, because it's much better to change your filter at the same time.

If you're having problems with the tranny slipping, changing the fluid will make it worse. New fluid is loaded with detergents which will eat up worn clutch surfaces.

Welcome to the site:chug:

I put one in my old S-10 Blazer a few years back (I know this is a Ford site...but the Blazer was free!). I always change the filter with the fluid, but having a drain plug makes the process so much cleaner. I prefer to put a plug in the rear of the pan as often times the front of the vehicle is higher than the back when working under. This allows the more of the fluid to drain out before you drop the pan. You can make you own with a pipe nipple and some fittings or order one of the aftermarket ones like this one http://martelbrothers.com/product.p..._froogle&xid=623330061ba7b2a5223621315d5b50b8

Good Luck!

Plugs are nice, makes for less grief when dropping the pan, just a suggestion, take it to a welding shop and have it brazed in,JMO

My drain plug also doubles as the port for my temp sensor.

The drain plug is nice because you can do a filter and fluid change, which gets about 4 quarts of fluid out, then you can drive for a bit and drain the pan again, etc, eventually getting all the fluid to run red again....

But Rick is right it is best to change the filter and the fluid at the same time.

Having it welded to the pan is the best way, but mine does not leak without it, I used an anabolic sealer (permatec) on the inner and outer plastic washers, no leaks at all.

Most speed shops or GOOD auto parts stores will stock these drain pan plug kits

I have previously used drain plug kits, but had problems with leaks. I prefer to solder a nut inside of the pan, and use a magnetic drain plug. The drain plug kits use a small plug which makes it difficult to drain all of the ATF at a fast rate. I've also soldered nuts inside of my differential cover to fill, and drain the fluid.

This is a picture from post #4's link:
product_image.php

on my old Camaro (insert redneck/Chevy joke here) I installed a tranny drain plug. got an aluminum drain plug at Advanced auto parts, took it to work (we had a machine shop and welding shop at that job) machined a hole at the back of the pan, welded the aluminum plug into the aluminum pan (not brazed) threw away the rubber O ring and put a crushed metal seal (basically fancy solder that meshes and seals and is more resistant to heat than rubber). and the tranny changes became a clean job instead of dirty.

One hint (I learned this the hard way) don't put it on the absolute bottom, if there is a place on the back side put it there, then it won't get hung on stuff.

David

Hi Doug,

Here is a link for one at autozone. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...smission-Drain-Plug-Kit?itemIdentifier=103014

I have put in several of these over the years. It makes it much easier and cleaner to drain and then you can pull the pan and change the filter. I have never soldered or brazed them in, but have never had any leaks either. I have always smoothed both sides of newly drilled hole using a wetstone so there are no burrs, raised edges, or irregularities that would prevent the washers from making a good seal. Good luck.

Back