• Register Today It's free!

Oil in air filter

kilroy

Reaction score
City, State
Capron IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F150
Hmm, usually when oil gets on an airfilter, it is from a breather tube on an engine with blow-by. I have only seen that on engines that have the air cleaner mounted on top center, like carb or throttle-body types. If it is a side mounted box, I wouldnt even know where to look, unless there is a breather tube from the engine connected to it, and then you would at least see some kind of filter connected to it. Dead Link Removed

------------------
97 Explorer XLT
V8 AWD
Snorkless box W/ K&N Filter http://www.grandillusion.org/xlt.htm

[This message has been edited by kilroy (edited 05-16-2000).]

Sounds like you need valve cover gaskets. The oil runs out the left sidegasket and down into the preheat hose and is drawn into the airbox. I bet if you pulled the preheat hose you will find oil on it.

Good luck

------------------
Steve VB
91 Navajo
2 1/2" Rancho,
31" Goodyear AT/S

I have to agree with Kilroy, it sounds like the breather tube on the blow by.... Working at a Q-Lube back in the day, if we aimed the oil gun wrong it would shoot right in to that tube and end up in the intake. Pull your intake hose off and clean it out and next time you fill your oil try disconnecting the breather tube and holding it up higher than the origin. Then you might want to clean both tubes out. Yuck.

I need help, my air filter is getting oil on it from the air intake side. I have K&N so I can clean it, but there is always a dirt build-up each time I do my oil change. I tought of the hot air comming from the exhaust. The engine takes a little oil between each change. Is there a way to eliminate this probleme.

------------------
BExplorer
94 XL 4.0 5 speed 4x4

Back