Oil Leak 99 Explorer sport 4.0 ohv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Leak 99 Explorer sport 4.0 ohv

explorer99sport

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer Sport
I just changed my oil and i used a motorcraft filter and casrtol syntec oil and right where the transmission connects to the block there looks like oil is leaking but not enough to makes stains on the ground and the dip stick reads full and i havent noticed any loss of oil for three days since i checkedd everday when i found the problem. Any ideas to what this is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be the rear main seal leaking a little i wouldnt worry about it if its not bad just check the oil more often then you usually would

ok thanks should i use engine oil stop leak or something like that would that help or work

First take a look at the rear of the heads on both sides.
Get a flashlight or trouble light and shine back there, looking
for wet spots of oil on the heads. If oil is present, then the
valve cover gaskets are leaking. You might be able to snug
up the hold-down bolts enough to stop the leak. If not,
then gasket replacement isn't too bad a job.....

ok and if its not the valve cover gaskets then should i use rear main seal stop leak, and it might be over flow because the dip stick has oil just a bit over the fill line even when the engine is completly cold and warm.

ok and if its not the valve cover gaskets then should i use rear main seal stop leak, and it might be over flow because the dip stick has oil just a bit over the fill line even when the engine is completly cold and warm.
I mentioned the valve cover gaskets because that's a simplier
matter than the rear main seal, and is a common place for our
vehicles to leak. The rear main seal is certainly a possibility,
but if it's just seeping oil I wouldn't worry about it until it got
much worse. Synthetic oil will sometimes seep around seals anyway;
and it's nothing to be overly concerned with.

Minor over-filling shouldn't matter either, although if it's as much
as an extra quart I'd drain it out.....

ok thank you very much for the advice Ill check the valve cover seals when i change the plugs and it probably the synthetic seeping a little thank you again

Back