Oil Leak from Oil Filter Mount/Base/Hsing area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Leak from Oil Filter Mount/Base/Hsing area

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Have the V6 4.0l engine in my '02 S/T. I've got a oil leak I "think" is coming from the area around the oil filter Mount/Base/Hsing.

I "assume" that there is a o-ring between the Mount/Base/Hsing that is allowing the oil to leak by.

Anyone have experience with this type of leak? If so, what di you do to repair it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe there is an O-ring that seals the oil filter adapter to the engine block. It's also possible that you've got a valve cover leak.

Thanks Koda: Im searching the 'net and finding that its a bit of a "job" to change the affected gasket/seal/oring..... pull the exhaust manifold....

Maybe I'll let the dealer do it......$$$$$$

Found TB 04-19-10 that deals with this "issue".

Its the filter and not the valve cover.....

I had to do this on my 01 ST and the 04 Exploder. Pain in my back but wasn't to bad. You do have to pull the exhaust manifold, pull the housing, replace the o-rings and put it back together. The hardest part for me on both was getting the egr tube back in place for some reason they both fought me.

N2Ford: Got a ball park $$$$ figgure from the dealer.... $700 to 800.

I was under the S/T this morning looking at the task at hand. Could you give me some insite on what Im in for if I do it myself? Im a Aircraft Mechanic so the wrench turning is a issue but I can see the exhaust system being a hindrance.

I would think if I remove the R/H inner fender liner I'ld have better access to the R/H Manifold hardware. What about pulling the short exhaust pipe that goes from the manifold to the converter? That looks tricky.

The engine was replaces about 4 years ago so the exhaust hardware has/was previously removed.

Thanks for any info

I would do a oil change and clean the suspected area real good. Check it often for a leak. Most comments oil leaks on the 4.0 are the valve covers and oil pan. Just hate to see you do all this work and still have a leaking valve cover. Dave P.

Pretty much as the TSB reads, like I said the exhaust manifold took way longer than the than the oil filter housing. Mine is a 01 and that bulletin is for 03-04 but it was the same as my 04 Exploder. Good luck.

Thanks Fellows. I've got the engine and related area real clean ( I keep it relatively clean anyways). I'll let the wife drive it and double check the oil filter area for leaks.

I've been youtubing this repair but the biggest "problem" I see is disassembling the exhaust.........with out breaking off bolts/studs.

How much of the exhaust system will I have to remove? Of course the manifold.

I "assume" the short pipe that goes from the manifold to the most forward converter.

Will I have to disconnect the driver side pipe to its (L/H) exhaust manifold?

What about the remaining exhaust system? does any of it have to be removed?

Maybe $700-$800 the dealer quoted isnt a bad deal......unless they break off studs....$$$$$$$

Fellows: If/when I get this oil filter housing leak fixed (if that is the source) what are yall thoughts about installing a remote filter?

If its a good idea any input on were to locate the filter? And who makes a top quality kit to do so?

Marine remote oil filter kits are cheap. You can grab one from academy sports. It is the same kit as the water separating fuel filter kit. However, it is not hard to change where it is. Just a little messy, and a remote kit will be messy too.

Better than pb blaster is to mix some atf 50/50 with acetone. Start hitting the bolts on the exhaust now with that. Keep hitting them till you are ready to do the job and you should not break any bolts.

Back