Oil Pressure (gauge)

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
Anyone know where the stock sending unit is for the oil pressure gauge? I will be putting in a real oil pressure gauge soon and I dont know where to put the sending unit for it. I have a 98 SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not positive but

I am pretty sure that the oil pressure sender is in the same place on both 4.0 engines; on the engine block just above the oil pan at the left (driver side) front of the engine. It has one wire coming out.

so do you think i will be able to take that out, put a T fitting in there and use that to hook up the stock sender and the one for my new gauge?

sounds like that should work

I haven't done this but it sounds like that should work. You may not be able to find a tee with one male fitting and two female (they are in McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/, but you might not find it at the hardware store), but you should be able to use a short nipple (yes that what it is called) which is male both ends, and a tee with female threads at all three positions (much easier to find). The threads are probably 1/8 NPT, but you will have to check to be sure.

Make sure that your new setup clears everything, because you don't want it to get whacked by something and have a horrendous oil leak :D

Good luck

You could check these out at McMaster:

51205K126 is for 316 Stainless Steel at $19.00 (expensive but corrosion resistant and strong)

9171K31 is for Brass at $8.38 (cheaper but still corrosion resistant and strong enough)

Just type in the part number in the search field on the left at http://www.mcmaster.com/

Thanks for you help. I have drawers of fittings in the "extra pieces" section of my garage. I should be able to make something work. Thanks again.

Found it!!! Why the F%$* did they put it on that side of the engine?????? Its right behind the A/C compressor where all the lines are. I looked on the other side of the engine hoping there would be a plug in it somewhere because that side of the engine is WIDE OPEN!!! No luck. I have a problem tho. The stock sender is 1/4 and the one that I need to add is 1/8 so it wont just be a T fitting on there. I have to put a reducer on one side. I don't know if there will be enough room. You know of any other places I might be able to get the pressure from?

If you use a 1/4 tee with 1 male side and 2 female ports you will probably get the most compact setup. Then use a 1/4 x 1/8 bushing (male threads for the 1/4, female for the 1/8). The bushing shouldn't stick out too far.

Another idea would be to replace the original sensor with an elbow and run a hose back along the engine to an area where you do have the room to mount both sensors. You might have to extend the wire leading to the original sensor.

I don't know offhand where you could find another port to tap into. Ford most likely picked that location because it is fairly close to the oil pump so it is giving the most direct reading of the pressure delivered by the pump.

Originally posted by 98FordX24
so do you think i will be able to take that out, put a T fitting in there and use that to hook up the stock sender and the one for my new gauge?

I believe the topic of using the stock sensor was discussed before, but I think it has to be tricked or bypassed or something. I don't think it is "plug and play":(

Originally posted by Crankcase

I believe the topic of using the stock sensor was discussed before, but I think it has to be tricked or bypassed or something. I don't think it is "plug and play":(

Right, there is some resistor behind the gauges that has to be shorted out if you get rid of the stock sender. I dont like the idea of that. I'm sure the stock sender must send some kind of info to the computer. I'd rather take the extra time and find a way to mount them both. Thanks for the help guys. I'll find out tonight if I can make it work.

Here is what some people have done. Dead Link Removed

I plan on doing this sometime when I have the time.

Good Luck

Back