oil pressure, no boost, leaking coolant, no shifting at WOT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oil pressure, no boost, leaking coolant, no shifting at WOT

nathansmith50

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU
EDIT: It is a 2014 PIU Ecoboost 3.5 and has 125K.

All of the sudden. All of these problems happened at once.

one morning when I started the car there was a gout of white smoke which went on for about 2 minutes and then went away. I thought...that's very odd and worried that I had a head gasket problem. But it went away so quickly and it was running fine seemingly.

Next day: fire up the truck, pull out of the driveway, get onto the main road and give it a little juice to get up to speed and it is SLOW(compared to normal) and then when it's time to shift it goes out of gear fine and the revs slowly rise but it never goes into the next gear. So I go home. I get the chance to go out and check it out about an hour later and there is a massive puddle of coolant underneath. I pull the skid plate because it appears to be coming from the passenger side of the engine above the skid plate...right about where the front turbo is. So I figured...no boost...coolant leak near the turbo...must be a turbo problem right? I can't for the life of me find the source of the leak. It's possible that I have to dig into things a little deeper to remove obstructions. I just want to find out if I'm on the right track before I get that involved. I know plenty about engines but very little about turbo.

Today I check the transmission fluid and it is low. So I top it off and go for a drive. Coolant level and oil level are still fine. No Improvement. As I'm on my way back I get low oil pressure light. Shut down and coast through neighborhood to home. check oil. Oil level is still fine. Still leaking coolant and I can see that from my drive it is sprayed back over the passenger control arm and axle etc.

I can also hear the waste gate rattling mightily when it revs down.

I am || this close to having it towed to the dealer and either saying "scrap this piece of ****" and buying an expedition or something or having them fix it. I'm about 60/40 on that at this point but I do really like this truck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Nathan. My first thought when I read about coolant issues with these Explorer is that the water pump may be bad. Since you checked the oil level, I'm guessing that yo didn't notice any contamination of the oil. So that may not be the issue. According to these posts, the turbos are water cooled so a turbo issue may be very likely. Turbo cooling question

Peter

Back