Oil Pressure numbers are in | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure numbers are in

even if your oil is changed 300 miles ago, changing the filter will only loose what is in the filter and most I think a half quart more. Its better to be safe then sorry.

So whats your hot run like? Just let her idle and watch the guage. again my mechanical guage just climbs and falls, but I have mine on the low side of the filter. So I am getting a reading less differential pressure, which should not be enough to pop the bypass in the filters (8-12lbs).

I think every explanation I have read here are all in the ballpark of what can be the problem. You have to do the other tests and change that filter to eliminate other issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I'll have to change that filter.

At the very beginning of the video, you can see what the hot idle reading was just before I put it to 2500 and the gauge goes nuts.

*edit* - and yes, the engine does have a little over 277,600 on it. Would there be a problem running it like that since the pressures never get too low?

run it till it seizes up now, nothing to lose! that small fluctuaion should not hurt anything I wouldnt think, if it drops really low or you lose pressure then we have a problem.

With this high miles a compression test would tell you alot, there are products that you can use to help bring back compression and also flush out the sludge in your oil pan/ pickup/ crankcase, etc

AutoRx is a very good sludge cleaner. I have read numerous post on it and very good reviews from my oil forum. http://www.auto-rx.com/index.html
I will be putting in my bottle when I change my bypass filter in a week or so.

I think you should definitely setup your guage inside your truck.

Tradervar.com has a mechanical oil pressure guage for $25 shipped
http://www.tradervar.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=&page=cp8206.htm

here is an white face electrical oil pressure guage for $26 shipped
http://www.tradervar.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?cart_id=&page=cp8202.htm

At 277K I'd just be happy to have the engine still running. I wouldn't sweat the oil pressure issue and start saving for a new engine! Mine is only at 230K and I don't expect it to last another 30K.

I'm not saying its running super poorly or anything.

I really cant say its down on power, because I don't really recall it having too much to speak of. I know its got an oil leak, it looks like from the rear main.

It doesn't really make any mechanical noises that would suggest that its worn out, besides its vibration at 2500 rpm, at which you can also hear a fast vibration. You can hear the noise intermittently at idle too. Kind of a thump....thump...thump.thump. Cant forget to mention a slight lifter tick.

Is there any good spots to mount a gauge in our trucks without having to take the dash apart or anything?

I don't see any reason to think that that engine will die soon, even with the mileage.

A long term engine cleaner may help the engine if you have sludge issues.

I didn't remove my dash. i have mine on the center console. Only thing I did with my mechanical guage was buy copper line instead of the plastic one. You can buy a pilliar mount and put the guage there. or they have on dash guage pods.

How bad is the leak?

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=90
dualdashpod.jpg

The weird thing about the leak it that its obviously being blown by wind, so I think it looks worse than it really is. You can always see a few drops at the seal,and they get blown onto the trans pan. I never seem to get low on oil though, although I do top off usually sometime before an oil change.

How did you route the lines for the gauges, keep in mine I only have a 93 so it might be different from yours.

No I bought it from Harbor Freight and its listed as an oil pressure gauge

bingo found your problem. its harbor freight...junkkkk

So maybe I need to invest in a good quality gauge here.

I don't think there stuff is junk Gauge technology is so old, its no new science to make them. They probably get there gauges like the next guy....lol.....lol guess I won't be buying any guages from them.

I just didn't route the raw line. I bought some tubing from PepBoys and covered the whole length of the copper with it(tried to feed it through, but was easier to slice tubing down its length). I got it from the vacuum lines and heater hose area. I drilled a hole in the firewall (right side)to route the line. Then along under the dash where your feet go (under the heater core) into the center console. Just keep your bends big. I have a bypass filter sitting just in front of my firewall on the right side. I am getting my pressure after it goes through 2 full flows. So its pressure that is actually going to the engine,not before the filters. I fed my guage from there, thats why i drilled right under my heater core side. the outside diameter of the rubber line was 3/8. I just started with a small drill bit and 2 sizes later had 3/8 hole. I don't have one of those step bits. It was very easy. The firewall is thin. Just don't push through and hit a vacuum hose or wires on the other side. Go slow be careful of whats on the other side. Put a t-fitting in your sender port now and feed the guage and your stock guage. What side is your sender port on?

the electric guage is cheap from tradervar. Buy that one and route the wire...and save a big line hassle.

An electric gauge seems like less of a hassle to me, but will it give me a good reliable reading like a mechanical one will?

it should be fine. I see no reason not to go with it. I bought mine for cheap as a set so went with the mechanical.

my next set of gauges , trans oil pressure and temp will be electrical.

Sounds like Ill be going electric then. Ive just got to find a way to route the wire for the gauge

you can put the wire through the weather boot around the steering column. That is where my fog light wires go. get some small diameter tubing and put the wire in that so it will be more protected.

Thanks for confirming, I was thinking about the grommet at the steering as well.

Thanks again, you guys have been a great help.

Back