Oil Pressure. Reads at the "M" in Normal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure. Reads at the "M" in Normal

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
I've owned this 'X' for about 5 years and 160000 miles. Last oil change the gauge read a bit higher then in the past 5 years. It's at the 'M" instead of between the "0" and "R". it is 2500 miles since the oil change and it is still reading higher then what was normal. Any thoughts on why pressure would go up a smidge? Oil Filter bypass spring maybe?

The engine has 330000 miles on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you worry about your oil pressure....

Have you modified your gauge and changed the sending unit style to the older/larger sending units?

The reason I ask.. If you haven't your not looking at oil pressure movement on that gauge.

The factory sending unit is just an open/close switch. Once it sees 5psi of pressure it closes the switch which then sends power to the gauge. The Gauge has a 20 ohm resister behind it which will "about" center the needle in the gauge. It will read the same at 15 psi as it will with 60 psi. Changing in voltage will make that need show different settings over time, not a change in oil pressure.

For more information on changing your analog idiot light to a gauge that actually moves with the oil pressure see this thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65575&highlight=oil+pressure

~Mark

Before you worry about your oil pressure....

Have you modified your gauge and changed the sending unit style to the older/larger sending units?

The reason I ask.. If you haven't your not looking at oil pressure movement on that gauge.

The factory sending unit is just an open/close switch. Once it sees 5psi of pressure it closes the switch which then sends power to the gauge. The Gauge has a 20 ohm resister behind it which will "about" center the needle in the gauge. It will read the same at 15 psi as it will with 60 psi. Changing in voltage will make that need show different settings over time, not a change in oil pressure.

For more information on changing your analog idiot light to a gauge that actually moves with the oil pressure see this thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65575&highlight=oil+pressure

~Mark

No, The gauge is OEM original. I am te second owner of this 'X' and the guy I bought it from could not change a headlight.

Ok so maybe just a Voltage variation.

Pretty dumb not to see True Pressure on the engine.
Even though there are no numbers on the gauge, I just assumed oil pressure gauge meant. oil pressure gauge, toggle switch.
Thanks for the education

How's that runnin with 330k? Any major problems or anything? I thought my 92 was high with 247k LOL

Only 330k?

We hit 333,333.3 back in 2006. Love these motors..

attachment.php

~Mark

As far as engine goes: I bought the 'X' with 183K on it. in that time .. aside frome regular maintenance, I replaced the Intake manifold gasket, the Idler pulley. Oil changes every 3000 miles has kept the engine quiet. still has original injectors, still gets 20 MPG.
The Transmission is crap as we all know. Considering it is not trailering anything and basically is a go-to-Work car, I'm on my 3rd rebuild. In fact on the long family trips, that is the only thing in the back of my mind the rest of the car is sound.
Just replaced the rear steel brake line. A while back I replaced the Rear axle wheel bearings and seals...one side was leaking. Not in love with replacing the
Radius Arm bushings.. it's due for another set.
The engine: accept for the common Intake gasket problem has been good to me.
I bought it for $450 and my wife put 147K miles on it... It owes me nothing

Tony- you've got a bunch of original owner high mile vehicles- that's awesome!

Since my odometer doesn't have that sixth digit, I'm not sure where mine really is. Did it already turn over past 99,999.9 one time or twice or more?. Did Ford really have so little faith in the 1st Gen Explorer that they didn't think it would go past 100,000 miles that they limited the Odometer to read only to 99,999.9 miles? It's currently it's sitting at 52,643.x miles.

Tony- you've got a bunch of original owner high mile vehicles- that's awesome!

THANKS!
I guess when you keep your nose and ears listening to what the car is telling you... You can fix a lot before it costs big$$.
I bought them 'cause I liked them.. my taste hasn't changed so, well, I still got them. No Sensors, not too many relays ..easy to work on.

AT 355k miles we had a head crack, so I decided to just rebuild the motor.. It is now running the lego motor...

2343573777_26e65227d8.jpg

Current motor has over 30k miles on it now.. which is about 390k miles on the "vehicle".

Also, our odometer only has the 5 digits. I use a label maker to put on the 6th digit.. Started doing that at 200k miles.

~Mark

AT 355k miles we had a head crack, so I decided to just rebuild the motor.. It is now running the lego motor...

Current motor has over 30k miles on it now.. which is about 390k miles on the "vehicle".

Also, our odometer only has the 5 digits. I use a label maker to put on the 6th digit.. Started doing that at 200k miles.

~Mark

That's a good Run...I kinda made a decision like that with my Jeep. at 200K ( 13 years ago) I got hit and rolled over. When fixing it I decided to retire the good running 304 for a Small Block Chevy "Crate" motor.
So rebuilding a motor 'cause the Head is cracked is not unreasonable.

I hear ya on the tastes not changing thing- I like my Ex. I like that I can turn sharp, it fits in my garage and I can walk around it, and I can reach across to the other door if needed.

None of the newer larger suv's, i.e. newer Explorers are the same size, and they're nore complicated than my '95.

I looked around for a while for a 2000-2001 Ex/Mounty, and if I replace Snowball soon, it will be one of those, I like the size and total package of the Gen II. :)

Back