• Register Today It's free!

oil pressure switch

nooberiffic

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I swapped a 4.0 into my '90 ranger replacing a 2.9.
After the swap, I could not get my oil pressure "gauge" to work. I changed out the sensor/switch, and it still doesnt work. While I was working on my truck, I noticed that there was another connector like the one that attaches to the top of the oil pressure switch just hanging loose on that side.
Any ideas on either one?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only remember 2 sensors that had that type of fitting/wire end. One was the oil pressure sending unit and the other was the coolant gauge. The coolant sensor for the computer/ecm has 2 wires.

With the key on which gauge pegs when you ground that sensor wire? That will tell you which gauge its for.

~Mark

Well, you were right. Thanks man. I can hardly believe I hadn't tried that.
But I still have a fitting that goes to nothing. I switched the free one on to the oil pressure switch (had to widen the opening so it would go on) and the gauge works now.
So, thats solved. Now I am just unsure what the other wire goes to. The CTS for the gauge has a plug on it, and the coolant temp gauge seems to be working fine.

Here are some pics
The CTS and plug
IMG_0006.jpg

The OPS and plug
IMG_0004.jpg

and the spare plug
IMG_0003.jpg

Get anything from the pics?

I can't think of any other 1 wire sending unit. It must be a ranger thing as they do things odd (like add a shock to the motor) :)

A few other around here have rangers so maybe one of them can think of another sending unit like that.

With the wire being that short I can only think of maybe something on the brakes or power steering system to let you know there is no pressure.

~Mark

Thanks for your help. I'm sure it will come up eventually. I compared it against my Ex, and cant seem to find it on that harness....
Now my oil pressure gauge is working I can go back to my original plan with making it actually show the pressure with the mustang OPS and taking out the resistor in the back of the gauge cluster.

Back