• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure Guage

Ramblinwilly

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsburg, Central Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger XLT
Apologize for the possible double post. I thought I posted this but can't find it.

No running issues right now but my oil pressure gauge never worked. But it suddenly came within the normal range and now went down to virtually nothing. Never had any knocking, tapping or any noise indicating low oil pressure. I've heard these before on other vehicles and know when to shut em' down. I religiously change oil and filter.

As soon as it warms up to above freezing I'm going to change the oil pressure sender. My question is this, is that the only way to "measure" oil pressure? For example, if the volt/amp gauge doesn't work you can test the alternator and not rely on the gauge. My memory's not what it used to be but I seem to recall installing/using a "real" oil pressure gauge. I'm trying not to rely on idiot lights.

I read the posts on oil pump screen and am praying that's not it.

Thanks.

Never mind but thanks. I should have searched for other posts. There's tons of information on this. Apparently this is a known issue. I will update this post with what I've found.

When I bought one of my Explorers the oil pressure gauge didn't work. I ended up tracing and cleaning all the connections to it, from sender through harness connections through bulkhead to cluster, and that fixed it.

Back