• Register Today It's free!

Oil Spindle Issue!?

dsturch1

Reaction score
City, State
Pennington, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
Alright guys, back again looking for help, but hey...what else are forums for ;) I have an oil leak coming from the front side of my engine - not a bad leak, but just a drip here and there that over time winds up being a royal PITA. The oil looks like it is leaking out right from underneath the oil filter. Its not the filter, because it has now been doing it with 3 different filters. I pulled the spindle out (the threaded stud the oil filter screws onto), and it looks as if the threads may be damaged, most likely from the idiot at the Jiffy Lube I went to who cranked the filter the wrong way :(

I went to my local dealership, and got a new oil spindle for my truck. I pulled my old spindle out, and then went to put the new one in but they are nothing alike. Can anyone take a look at the below picture and let me know if one is for a v6 or v8? I am royally confused and the guy at the Parts Dept at the dealership swears that the part they gave me is the right part. The spindle on the right is what came out of my truck, and the spindle on the left is what the dealership gave me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Obviously, that ain't gonna work.

Obviously, that ain't gonna work.

Thanks, now I really feel like the short bus is for me. Haha totally kidding, yes I gathered that much as well. Now the question is how to explain to the guy at Ford its wrong despite him insisting it is correct, and if someone can tell me what that spindle on the left is actually for, or hell...even a part number for the right part so I can go there and get it by number.

Print out the picture you have above and show it to him. Or park in a remote part of the dealership lot and pull the thing out on the spot. I don't see any thread damage on the right side spindle though.

Edit:
Isn't there a gasket between the "oil cooler"/"oil filter adapter" where it attaches to the block? That could be the source of your leak.

Back