• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Oil Usage

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 12 Escape
Just curious on what the norm/average oil consumption is on the 5L's.

My Mountaineer just turned 80K and I go through about a quart of oil every 2.6K
(Mobil 1 0W30)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Bigg_billy

Reaction score
City, State
Westford Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS 4L AT
How often do you change it? 3,500 miles should be tops, after that you will use oil just because it begins to loose it's lubricative properties.

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd

TheVarmit

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Limited & 1996 XLT
My 2001 Limited has the 5.0 , I change my oil every 5,000 miles like my owners manual suggests. It has 99,500 miles on it and has never (knock on wood) used a drop of oil.

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 12 Escape
I change the oil every 4 months or so which amounts to about 3500 miles or so.

springer

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 MM Premier AWD V8
Try a heavier weight oil.
I use Mobil 1 10w30, changed around 3,000 to 3500 miles, and my Exp (5.0 w 118,000 miles) doesn't use any oil (as far as I can tell, anyway).

I didn't think the recommended oil was a zero weight, and you may be using something that is too thin, and more easily gets past bearings/seals/rings.