Ok Crunch Time - Sport or Limited, Who Has Gone From One to The Other ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ok Crunch Time - Sport or Limited, Who Has Gone From One to The Other ?

Wildcat_1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
All
I have a 2013 (calendar year 2012) Exp Limited with all the extras and am coming up to get a new Exp, 2014. My issue really is in trying to decide between sticking with a limited or going with the sport.

I love the look of the sport, especially Ruby Red with black whereas the other half prefers the limited. Really in terms of options the only things I would miss are the heated wheel, HIDs and lane keeping assist.

So before I get flamed with people stating go drive them and its your decision :) I did and the Sport is a kick in the a** to drive. My question is really more around people in similar boat, in other words had an Limited and went to Sport or had a Sport and went to limited. Would like your opinions on whether you regret the change or love it. Either way great vehicles

Thanks all

WC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a very valid question....

We went from a 2012 Limited to a 2014 Sport. Going into the new Ex I really wanted the Sport for the power and my wife really didn't have an opinion either way.... But stated several times she thought the power on the Limited was fine.

Now that we have the Sport, she wouldn't go back. Yes there are those few features you can't get, but for our family the power and the much more refined ride more than make up for it. For what it's worth, you can still add the HIDs aftermarket, we never used the park assist and the folder folds were used once or twice a month. The EB engine gets used every single minute :). I've even done the LMS hi boost 93 tune and its wife friendly enought for her not to complain - and if power is your thing, it turns the Sport from sporty into a monster!

The thing I miss the most is rather odd... The curving guide in the reverse cam. It's ridiculous they disabled that. Oh the first world problems....

So yes... If you are considering the Sport... My family says go for it!

GL with your decision....

Ajar

Ajar
Thanks so much for your reply, very much appreciate it. You mentioned the ride is more refined, that is an interesting observation and when I go to the dealer next will be sure to look for that in both again.

Is your gas mileage and other driving related habits the same (see no difference in awd handling etc) ?

Thanks

WC

We went from a 2012 Limited to a 2014 Sport. Going into the new Ex I really wanted the Sport for the power and my wife really didn't have an opinion either way.... But stated several times she thought the power on the Limited was fine.

Now that we have the Sport, she wouldn't go back. Yes there are those few features you can't get, but for our family the power and the much more refined ride more than make up for it. For what it's worth, you can still add the HIDs aftermarket, we never used the park assist and the folder folds were used once or twice a month. The EB engine gets used every single minute :). I've even done the LMS hi boost 93 tune and its wife friendly enought for her not to complain - and if power is your thing, it turns the Sport from sporty into a monster!

The thing I miss the most is rather odd... The curving guide in the reverse cam. It's ridiculous they disabled that. Oh the first world problems....

Ajar
The curving lines is a feature that comes with the Park Assist. You can't have one without the other.

Peter

All
I have a 2013 (calendar year 2012) Exp Limited with all the extras and am coming up to get a new Exp, 2014. My issue really is in trying to decide between sticking with a limited or going with the sport.

I love the look of the sport, especially Ruby Red with black whereas the other half prefers the limited. Really in terms of options the only things I would miss are the heated wheel, HIDs and lane keeping assist.

So before I get flamed with people stating go drive them and its your decision :) I did and the Sport is a kick in the a** to drive. My question is really more around people in similar boat, in other words had an Limited and went to Sport or had a Sport and went to limited. Would like your opinions on whether you regret the change or love it. Either way great vehicles

Thanks all

WC
Are you able to wait and see what the 2015 model brings to market? If you decide to go with a 2014, remember the final ordering date is March 14th. Orders for the 2015 will be accepted on March 15th with production to begin June 2nd.

Peter

Ajar
Thanks so much for your reply, very much appreciate it. You mentioned the ride is more refined, that is an interesting observation and when I go to the dealer next will be sure to look for that in both again.

Is your gas mileage and other driving related habits the same (see no difference in awd handling etc) ?

Thanks

WC

Your welcome!

I was concerned about the Sport ride going in; they say it is sport tuned so I was scared it would be a harsh ride my wife wouldn't appreciate at all. Now several months in, both my wife and I just think its a much more comfortable ride. I can't pin point exactly what it is... But we like it a a lot.

We live in the Tampa, FL area and do almost no highway driving at all on a regular basis. Much of our travel is in a 8 mile circle (work, kids schools, shop, etc) of suburban driving with plenty of lights and way too much tourist traffic. We were getting an average of 15.5 mpg with the Limited AWD. After switching to the Sport, with the LMS high boost tune, we are getting 16 - 16.5... driving habits are the same, except whenever I have the opportunity, I like to nail it off the line. So I feel we're getting slightly better mileage, driving the same style, except having WAY more fun with it.

Cheers,

Ajar

The curving lines is a feature that comes with the Park Assist. You can't have one without the other.
Peter

Well that stinks! LOL! Seriously after have the curving lines, I feel blind backing up with the straight ones.

They should just give everyone that has the cam the curving lines, it's like a safety issue, not a luxury item.

well i cant say i switched from a sport to limited or vice versa. I can tell you however that im loving the sport. Finally hit my 1 year ownership and have had no issues with it at all. Its great just having that extra power, even though I may not use it all the time.

Ajar

I went from a '12 Limited to a '14 Sport and would second all of what Ajar said. I also went from a middle row bench to the 2 seat second row (which slide fore and aft). I don't regret the change at all.

The performance and handling of the Sport is a lot better. I've read that Ford made a change to the steering across the range for the '13 model year which tightened up the steering a lot but the change between the '12 and '14 is noticeable.

The only things I really miss are the HID headlights and the steering guide reversing guides. Everything else was a nice to have but I was happy to give it up (my Sport has the active cruise and moonroof).

I went from 2013 Limited full load to 14 SPORT full load.

I concur with most on here...SPORT features out weigh the loss of some Limited features.

I wouldn't go back either.

Given that model year 2015 order bank opens in literally a week or two I would wait and review the changes to the SPORT before doing anything. Don't rush and get a 2014, you may regret it.

I know the radius adjusting steering track lines in rear view camera are related to the Active Park Assist but its not necessary. My wife's 13 Acadia Denali has curved rear camera lines and no Active Park Assist. Very poor customer relations IMHO.

Those radius line curve adjustments are coming from EPAS steering inputs, not APA sensors.

I have an XLT so I don't have a horse in this race, but they are two different looking vehicles. The obvious difference is HP and if that is your sole deciding factor you go with the Sport.

The interior features available are not that much different unless one is critical for you.

To me, and if you are not sure if you need the HP, the deciding factor would be looks - which is a personal, subjective thing.

The Sport looks more aggressive and has the black trim front, top and rear with I believe chrome deleted with more aggressive looks and wheel style with a lower stance that will handle tighter on the street.

The stance gives the Sport more of an performance street look as opposed to your typical SUV that you also thing of off-roading, but then, very few SUV owners go off-road.

So to me, the deciding factors would be what I mentioned above as personal preference.

Needless to say, my personal preference is the XLT body style (same as Limited). I was looking Limited but got a great deal on a really loaded XLT. Only thing I wish I had is memory seats.

I even like the 18's on the XLT as they give it more of a SUV/off-road look. Mind you, I am biased toward that look from driving on the beach a lot where lower to the ground vehicles with bigger wheels and lower sidewall tires are not practical. I look at my XLT and see beach ready, but most won't see it that way or care about that.

So, it all goes to personal preference with the biggest deciding factors to me as HP if needed and appearance.

Can't go wrong with any of these, so go for what suits you best.

Back