ok new to this and sorry if it's a repeated thread. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ok new to this and sorry if it's a repeated thread.

lilfrog01

Reaction score
City, State
north fort myers, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer
ok so i have a 1996 ford explorer. it's a 6 cylinder and i really couldn't tell you to much. some things i know and some i can check but to be fair, she's never given me any problems in the last 2 years i've had her till now. Ok so where to start...
She has over 150k miles that i know of. (odometer quit not long after i got the truck) trip od doesn't work either.:(
She's made several trips 300 plus miles north and back and no problems other than some tranny fluid (i think) showing up on the rear window. But nothing MAJOR with the engine. air still works if i charge it and blows cold. windows still work but did have to replace the front drivers and passengers side motors.
the problem i've been having is she currently is experiencing problems shifting. i believe it could be the 2-3 flare but not sure. she will shift when you first put it in drive and then when you get to 50-55 mph she will shift again but nothing inbetween. sounds like she wants to shift but just cant. and now when i put it in reverse, it hesitates before engaging and if you push the gas before she's ready, she shudders and tries to stall in reverse. i have aleady checked the linkage, the vss and dropped the pan and found nothing in there. had the tranny flushed and replaced the filter. looking at the vb it doesnt appear that any of the silenoids are bad. tried to get any codes read but none to be found. od light flashes but the cel has never come on except the normal when starting the truck. my problem is i'm stuck. i dont mind working on my own truck and getting dirty but i dont know where to start first. should i check the pcm?? any help would be great. ps. just to let you know yes i am female but still find myself willing to do the dirty work and somewhat intelligent.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing to do is take it to a tranny shop and have them check for trouble codes, then start looking where the problems are.

Agreed- codes would be very helpful. Get the codes read, find out what the numbers are, and post them up here so we can look through them. Don't let the shop work on it until you post up the codes. :)

Thanks guys. I had gone to advanced for a computer scan and it wouldn't pull any codes but i kinda figured that before i went. The scanner they use won't pull tranny codes. Guess now i just need to find a shop around here that won't charge a fortune to pull codes and won't look at me like I've lost my mind. As soon as i can get it scanned, ill post it scanned I'll post the codes. Is it ok to keep driving it if i only drive to school and the doctor and its less than 15 miles a week?

Oh and i checked the odometer again and it says 10566. But its said that for awhile since it broke so i know its wrong. Anyone know how to fix/find the cause of that not working?

If the odometer and trip odometer below aren't working, it's most likely the worm gear inside the speedo. You'd have to replace the speedo unit, or the cluster itself.

If the odometer and trip odometer below aren't working, it's most likely the worm gear inside the speedo. You'd have to replace the speedo unit, or the cluster itself.

Thanks joe! Ill get to that project next. The verdict is in and the only cde it shows is p.1701.. reverse engagement malfunction. So now that i know the problem, is it possible for me to fix it? The trann shop says it needs a minor overhaul wth selenoid replacement but they also want between $1250.00 and $1500.00 to do it. I only paid 900 fr the truck so hoping i can fix it myself and save some cash. Any thoughts or tips? Thanks again guys!!!

ANYONE??? Just need someone to point me in the right direction.

You can fix it yourself. The valve body & solenoids can be upgraded from under the truck with the proper tools & know-how. An overhaul would require dropping the transmission. I would not make any determinations until having a look in the transmission pan for starters.

Drdoom- Thanks and i dropped the pan and its clean. Soo should i just replace the whole valve body or just the selinoids or both. Also can anyone explain the valve body upgrade?p

So that is the 4R55E transmission you have?
Dead Link Removed

No i have the 5r55e in mine. And can it possibly be the rev servo? I have basically lost reverse but i should say that i have it if i rev the rpms up to 3000 then it will drop into reverse but it slams into gear and chirps the tires. This is new and just started today. I have been trying to avoid it and just push it manually as i dont want to do more damage. Any thoughts?

It could be the reverse servo.
Do you have manual 1st gear?
If you go into the Transmission, Differential, & Transfer Case sub-forum, do a search for "5R55E no reverse" you will get hundreds of pages of info.
If you do have manual first, you will want to be looking at the servo, gaskets, and possibly the valve.

Back