OK, what did I break??

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hey guys,
Just recently, My FUEL RESET light has illuminated in my dash. I know it has to do with the fuel shutoff valve, etc... So I reset the red button near the passenger side toe panel and it is still on. Even more strange, whenever I press the LOCK button on my fab, the horn activates twice as though something is open...weird.
Any suggestions??
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of a fuel reset light... pull the positive battery cable off for 30 minutes I bet that will make it go away.

According to the owner's manual, the light "FUEL RESET" means that the fuel cut-off thingy has been tripped. The switch is in the front passenger side, under the instrument panel near the kick panel. I believe you just push the switch in and it'll reset.

That's what I would have thought too. I pushed the switch and the light is still on. Plus, if the fuel shutoff valve was triggered, I wouldn't be able to start the engine. It runs perfectly, but this is a really odd situation. I'll pull the + lead and see if that does it.
THanks!!!

No workie...Anyone have a suggestion? perhaps a bad fuel valve shutoff lead?? I did put in white faced guages not too long ago, but it just started a couple of days ago so I wouldn't think that would be it. Bad security system?
I really suck at electrical systems

i might check the fuses... normally when that light comes on you're supposed to hit the reset switch and that's it. u've done that so if u're still having a problem it could be a bad fuse or relay. i'd check in the owner's manual or the haynes guide and see what fuses/relays are tied to that system.

Great idea but I figured it out. As I said before, I installed white faced guages...well, I guess '97 had the fuel reset ligbht above the speedometer...not to the right where my light was. It turned out that the light underneath my guages was actually door ajar! I sprayed some WD-40 on the rear liftgate and problem solved...
how embarassing...
Thanks all!!!

and don't laugh too much at me! ;)

Back