Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer sport
2 door sport
302 swap
Rwd:3:73
Nitrous wet 47n/30f=100ish Shot
Sctx4 tuner

Here is my issue and I have a feeling I know what the answer is going to be

I programmed my transmission with the tuner for a more aggressive shift through the gears.

Without the nitrous it shifts real quick and all the power is there throughout the power band.

On the nitrous is different. It seems to lag at the higher rpms. I’m not sure if it’s the cam falling flat on its face or the transmission not being able to shift fast enough while on the spray but it feels like it over revs. It shifts on the decline of power and tq

I would like to set my transmission shift points but can’t find any data of when the explorer motor makes peak tq and power.

I have a feeling the answer I should going to be j mod the tranny.

Any input

Ps: with a 75 shot it doesn’t happen only on a 100, haven’t gone any higher....yet. Need headers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 door sport
302 swap
Rwd:3:73
Nitrous wet 47n/30f=100ish Shot
Sctx4 tuner

Here is my issue and I have a feeling I know what the answer is going to be

I programmed my transmission with the tuner for a more aggressive shift through the gears.

Without the nitrous it shifts real quick and all the power is there throughout the power band.

On the nitrous is different. It seems to lag at the higher rpms. I’m not sure if it’s the cam falling flat on its face or the transmission not being able to shift fast enough while on the spray but it feels like it over revs. It shifts on the decline of power and tq

I would like to set my transmission shift points but can’t find any data of when the explorer motor makes peak tq and power.

I have a feeling the answer I should going to be j mod the tranny.

Any input

Ps: with a 75 shot it doesn’t happen only on a 100, haven’t gone any higher....yet. Need headers.

From what I've found, the Explorer 5.0 engine makes peak power at 4,200rpm. This point won't change unless the cam is changed.

When you swapped in the 302 did you upgrade the valve springs?
Some of what you are describing sounds like valve float.

Also, what kind of tuner do you have? Adjusting the torque table will change trans pressures. You would also be able to adjust line pressures at the shift.

Nice to hear of another go fast Explorer on here.

I'd work on the trans and VB, with a few parts needed for performance and longevity. The J-Mod is a great idea, but for the Explorer VB the hole sizes chosen are an unknown(what's best). I was going to do that last year, but I have to wait until I'm not using mine for work.

Do the trans hard parts stuff first, then go back to adjusting the trans programming. The PCM is great for fine tuning the shift points etc.

The torque table needs to be updated for the amount of torque the shot is adding.

The time you command shifts VS the time it takes to actually shift are two different things.

For example:
I found with the sotck engine, If you set it to shift 1-2 at 40mph under full throttle, it's going to start at 40 and over rev/float valves cause it will hit 43+ before it actually shifts.

I increased TV/line pressure by 23 and have it set to shift at 37mph, 1-2 under WOT. It shifts about 40mph and keeps pulling, no over revving and nothing like you are describing.

I speak nothing to larger tires or smaller tires, and gearing changes which all effect shifting which is done by throttle position and MPH..................................Then again I have tuned different strategies which use rpm to shift, same thing there, commence shifting earlier to get it to shift where you want it.

When you swapped in the 302 did you upgrade the valve springs?
Some of what you are describing sounds like valve float.

Also, what kind of tuner do you have? Adjusting the torque table will change trans pressures. You would also be able to adjust line pressures at the shift.

Nice to hear of another go fast Explorer on here.
I did nothing to the motor, victory 01 mounty engine. The turner is an sctx4 i changed the valve pressure too +20% @ wot

Sounds like you are in to some or all of:
1. Trans Valve body modification
2. Valve spring replacement
3. Pro Racer Package for more in depth tuning

Sounds like you are in to some or all of:
1. Trans Valve body modification
2. Valve spring replacement
3. Pro Racer Package for more in depth tuning
Yeah I figured. I may Just downsize the shot too a 75 for time being until do the j mod, And valve springs. Maybe if I play with the tuner and change my shift points I might have a etter outcome.

What are you having it shift at BTW? My two 302 trucks both shift at 5000 every time, easily and they pull well at that. These rpm much better than 302HO's. The cam may be the truck cam, but it is still a roller, and it's not a limit to keep the engine below 5k, the HO heads and intake choke the HO's to under 4500(they wheeze at 5000rpm). So the stock 302 should do well at 5k, just replace the springs which are no doubt weak after 20 years.

What are you having it shift at BTW? My two 302 trucks both shift at 5000 every time, easily and they pull well at that. These rpm much better than 302HO's. The cam may be the truck cam, but it is still a roller, and it's not a limit to keep the engine below 5k, the HO heads and intake choke the HO's to under 4500(they wheeze at 5000rpm). So the stock 302 should do well at 5k, just replace the springs which are no doubt weak after 20 years.
I’ve been having it shift at 5400 rpm but now it shifts at 4900 and it seems to Be happy there. Less lag and more of a power band it seems.

Very good, that's a good step in the right direction. You can slowly improve things some more, a little VB work, overall maintenance stuff, more fresh synthetic fluids, tweak the shift programming after everything else etc.

Update.

So I played with the tune a little.

I raised my shift pressure % through the tune and took -1 mph out between Shifts. Also did some fine tuning with the nitrous and found out I was running a bit rich and I had more room to safely add some timing. I went out and bought 16 spark plugs (autolite 103 copper) ((2steps colder)) i upped my nitrous jet too a 52 equaling out too an exact 100 shot. Did a test hit and read my plugs. No longer rich. A/f ratio was just right. At that point I added 1 degree of timing and put new plugs in. Made another test pass and read the plugs. Everything was perfect. I actually gained some mph and the lag at the top end is conpleatly gone. Hits like a mule now. Whole different beast.

That night I lined up against a 2010 mustang gt and took the win.

But it’s just an explorer so it’s no ten second car lol

Back