Okay which is better Haynes or Chilton? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Okay which is better Haynes or Chilton?

98ebx

Reaction score
City, State
SF Bay Area , California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Need to get a newer repair manual since the one i have is only 91-97 and i have a 98. I was looking online and found a Haynes Manual(Ford Explorer 1991 thru 2001
Mazda Navajo & Mercury Mountaineer) and a Chilton( Ford Ranger, Explorer & Mountaineer Repair Manual 1991-1999) Which one is better?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Heath
Honestly the best one out there is Helm... But of the two that you've posted I couldn't tell you which is better...

Where can you get one of them? Helm

I believe its www.helm.com but not postive... Use a search engine if thats not in and just look for Helm Automobile Manual and I'm sure you'll find them...

I believe Helm wrote the Ford's official shop manuals. You can get the CD-ROM version of its Ford's shop manuals on Ebay for $10. It's totally worth the $10.

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
I believe Helm wrote the Ford's official shop manuals. You can get the CD-ROM version of its Ford's shop manuals on Ebay for $10. It's totally worth the $10.

Yes, Helm publishes Ford Factory Service. I totally agree, get a Ford CD off eBay. Best $10 I even spent on my X!

Sure can Heath. I got mine for $8. Just search eBay for "Ford CD" and you should get lots of them.

Where can I get one besides E-Bay?

I'll be visiting the US next month and would like to pick one up.

Just to toss .02 in here......
In the past I have found BOTH books to be useful. Each had a section that explained or showed pictures better than the other. Over time I have picked up both and used both of them on one project.
The CD sounds good, I think I will like access to all 3 when trying to figure out a particular project.
Another good idea, when using a book, is write down the wrench sizes and torque setings you used when performing each step. Saves a lot of time during reassembly and future work on the same part area!!!
Ken

If you aren't aware of this, a copy of the Chilton's manual (Ford Ranger, Explorer and Mountaneer 1991-99) is online for free at autozone.com .

Also, the Factory CD from Ebay is the best of all.

CD-ROM :)

Make sure you get a real Ford one, not a knock off or CD-R copy

IMHO all of the CD's (parts and manuals) on ebarf are just plane CD-R's... but I did buy a couple of these and never had any problems. If you have time you can also search for used original Ford Factory Manuals (books). Also a great source for information.

I don't think you can get these CD's anywere else but ebaY.... at least I have never checked with my friendly dealer- yet.
I also have Haynes... I did use Chilton on a different truck but IMO and as someone already mentioned.... you should own both and just read both before starting a new project.

Never enough knowledge ;)

Back