Ol' Faithful | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ol' Faithful

I am the proud original owner of my 99 xlt. It has survived two cross country moves, three kids, many late night beer runs and one head on tree collision. Although it is a two wheel drive it hasnt kept me from recently transforming it into something better than how i got it. My wife bought it just before we got married so she picked the drive train. She factory ordered it with what she wanted, and since having our third child and aquiring a mini van, it became mine.
It went from this

Attachments

• explorer.JPG
    explorer.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 629
  • explwreck.JPG
    explwreck.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 635

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm straight south of chicago about 30 minutes where I80 and I57 intersect

Not that far from my sister in Mokena. Take 45 up to 290 and youll find me at the local tavern. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE! 2" body lift and fresh wash and wax

About 8 hrs all alone in the garage just for the lift yesterday. Plus another 2.5 hours wash and wax today. Really nice in chicago right now. probably be in mid 70's this week which is all you can ask for in april.

Attachments

• DSC01282.JPG
    DSC01282.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC01281.JPG
    DSC01281.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 195

Looks good, did you run into any issues with the 2"? I myself don't know whether I want to do a 2 or 3" bl.

it was surprisingly easy but the bolts in the kit are the wrong length because its made for a 91-94.

Oh ok, Did you go to the hardware store for the correct bolts? Have any binding in the steering afterwards since you didn't have to change the shaft?

I used some of the factory bolts from the back of the truck and moved them to the front, and if i used washers to make up the gap anywhere else. The steering is fine. my kit came with the extension but never needed it.

Sounds good! I think your truck has a better stance now.

Update 09/06/10

Been busy and havent been on here lately but thought an update was in order. I built a push bar for the front and welded it to the frame, made a step out of diamond plate for my hitch reciever, and just got new wheels and tires. The front bumper and hitch step were free(fabbed at work in my free time.) and the wheels and tires are ar767 with 32x11.5r15 dunlop mud rovers. they were a craigslist find, some heep owner put them on and rolled his cherokee 200 miles later. Best $300 i've ever spent. Almost forgot, blacked out the tail lights.

Attachments

• DSC03470.JPG
    DSC03470.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC03471.JPG
    DSC03471.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC03472.JPG
    DSC03472.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC03474.JPG
    DSC03474.JPG