• Register Today It's free!

Onboard Air tank & tools

soupbone

Reaction score
City, State
Hayward,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4WD
I have a VIAIR 400P compressor and it works great for tires. I wonder if combined with the right size air tank would it be enough to run a impact wrench and ratchet?

400P Portable:
Max Intermittent Pressure: 150PSI
2.54CFM
Duty Cycle: 33%
Inline pressure gauge: 60PSI
Auto. Reset Thermal Protection

What size tank would work? 2.5 or 5Gal? I know I could mount the tank where the spare was....
Some sort of pressure swith? 85/110 or 110/150

The tool is a cheap one from harbor freight:

Drive: 1/2'' square
Bolt capacity: 5/8''
Maximum torque: 250 ft. lbs.
Air requirements: 5 CFM @ 90 PSI
Maximum speed: 7000 RPM
Air inlet: 1/4'' NPT
Hose size: 3/8''

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking about this, having a tank either in the bumper and or a tank where the spare tire is. I would go with the biggest volume tank and pressurize it to it's max then have a regulator to control the air leaving the tank.

In order to run air tools you will need either a 30 gal (minimum) air tank, or a engine driven compressor combined with a 5-10 gallon air tank. The electric compressors just can't keep up with air tools. If you are looking for a portable impact to take on the trail with you, your best bet is to look into a cordless impact. Both Makita (sp?) and Snap On offer excellent cordless 1/2" impacts that are more than strong enough to remove even the most stuborn bolts.
As a side note. Even if you are only planning to use your compressor for airing up tires, it is highly recomended to add an air tank of at least 2.5 gal.

Ok so using tools is out. So im gonna get the 2.5 gal tank. I was also thinking on either getting this air up kit thing or make my own from scratch.

http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/2air/

That kit looks pretty cool. I personally don't mind doing each tire individually though, and they go quickly with the high pressure from my CO2 tank.

ask Leebo about this. I think he uses a quick air compressor and an air tank. I think he said he can run air tools off of his setup but Im not sure. If not you could always run a powertank and use air tools.

Originally posted by Brian1
ask Leebo about this. I think he uses a quick air compressor and an air tank. I think he said he can run air tools off of his setup but Im not sure. If not you could always run a powertank and use air tools.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done, the problem is the electric compressors don't have enough volume to keep up with air tools. You would have to remove one lug nut wait for the tank to refill, remove one bla..bla..bla.. Powertanks and engine driven compressors are capable of much greater volume at pressure and can handle running air tools.
If you want a first hand opinion on the cordless impact, talk to Muddhore. He had one in Moab and it saved Gerald from some serious exhaustion when he had to replace the add-a-leafs in the hotel parking lot.

Back